Vacuum Pump Size

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JRD, Feb 14, 2011.

1. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Hi, I am planning a 14' racing dinghy build and intend to use some carbon fibre reinforcement and vacuum bag this in place where appropriate. I am wondering what capacity and type of vacuum pumps others are using, or would recomend. The largest surface area is about 6.5sq m (70sq ft). I have access to a small oil vane pump with single phase motor which has about 12m3/hour (7cfm) and can acheive 1mBar absolute vacuum. But it seems a bit small to look at.

I'm also interested in the combinations of products used over the laminate, eg vacuum film, peel ply etc.

Regards,
    Jeff

2. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Size is not a problem its getting a really good seal round your bag and the hose to get a good pull with no leaks .Take care with the plastic you choose that is compatable with you resin and dosent shrivel up when it get resin on it . Wouldnt be the first time of will nott be the last .
    What kind of resin you using ?? :confused:
    What part of the kiwi land you in ? Are you in Auckland ?? have friends that can steer you in the right dirrection with everything you are likely to need in the way of materials and they are experts at bagging and everything associated with it .:D:p:p

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

The pump you have available will do the job effortlessly. When bagging a big part, you can always stick in the hose of a vacuum cleaner into the bag (before closing the last bit) to get as much air out as possible, then hook up the vacuum pump after that. This will save some time waiting for the pump to get the bag down 100%, possibly spitting oil in the process.

5. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Hi,

Thanks for the help guys, vacuum cleaner for the initial pull down is a cunning trick. Im using Epoxy resin. Im used to the standard West System products but planned to talk to the suppliers about different options.
    Hi tunnels, Im not in Auckland but not too far away though. I have tended to get materials from High Modulus in the past, but open to talk to others if your freinds are in the busisness.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hi
    Adhesive technologys in Henderson and aske for Mr Rex Sly, hes a guy with wealth of knowledge and they are the West system agents .
    Or if you get to Hi modulas Mr Sean Jeffery, hes there NZ Sales Manager . Have known both these guys for a number of years .Dont have any phone numbers with me here in China but there numbers are in the book . They are the most helpful people i can think of that have forgotten more than most people will ever know in a whole life time .
    Good luck :D

7. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Thanks tunnels,
    I know exactly who you are talking about and how to get in contact. I have found both companies very helpful in the past and their engineers are always willing to offer advice no matter how long they are stuck on the phone....

I will take the time to go and visit, plans in hand! (Once I ever get them finished.... rolls eyes)

thx
    Jeff