Kevlar............

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Roly, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Roly

Roly Senior Member

I am about to skin the forward slam zone and chainplate area inside of a strip planker. Laminate is 810gm triax e-glass & 300gm kevlar.
    Should the kevlar go against the wood or the triaxial e-glass? If the kevlar does then it will save me putting a 160gm cloth over the kevlar last as a buffer.
    I have asked this before with no response;Does it matter?

2. watergypsy

watergypsy New Member

I don't know if this is of any help but with kevlar you have to keep in mind that 1) it's has a far stronger tensile strength than compression strength so you really only benifit from it's strength when it's the inside most ply. If you hit a rock for example the outer most layers are in compression and the inner most are in tension.
    2) it doesn't "wetout" like fiberglass glass (encapsulates is a better description) meaning the resin doesn't go into the fiber but goes around it. so I would not use it as a first laminate next to wood but would use a layer of fiberglass first inorder to make a stronger bond.

1 person likes this.
  3. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Thanks WG.I didn't see your reply until I had done the athwartship layer chain plate to chainplate and put it against the wood. I have two to go
    so will reverse the order. I guess with peelply it is not necessary to put a buffer 6oz layer over the kevlar?

4. lesburn1

lesburn1 Junior Member

Sanding Kevlar

Just remember that it is very difficult to sand Kevlar.
    Just to be safe put a layer of glass on the outside if you expect to fair the external surfaces.