To grease or not to grease? Teflon female ball socket rotating mast

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by pbmaise, May 11, 2013.

1. pbmaise

pbmaise Senior Member

Aloha
    I'm currently in Philippines replacing my rotating mast. The previous mast did NOT have a teflon female socket. It came with a grease point.

The new mast, a 19 meter Proctor, has a stainless steel ball and Teflon female socket. There is no grease point. This mast was once installed and I can see that the old owner greased the socket.

My conclusion is that this was a bad idea. The grease helped attract dirt and I see a little damage to the Teflon female socket. Further, there is no way to apply new or more grease without lifting the mast off the deck a few inches.

Therefore, my conclusion is no grease. Anyone have thoughts otherwise?

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Dont know. Perhaps ask Proctor

Normally you dont grease plastic bearings. Dry teflon spray is what is recommended for delrin ball bearings.

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

No grease.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.