To buy plans, or to design..

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MantaRay, Apr 16, 2013.

1. tomas

tomas Senior Member

I guess anyone giving well-intentioned advice to a newcomer that may not yet realize what's involved in designing and building a big boat, is going to be shot down. The motivation is to potentially save time, money and grief, based on long experience.

While it is true that there are a couple of members that advise beyond their actual expertise, making generalizations and projecting negative, self-serving motivations onto the many generous and helpful members here is something that should be shot down.

If you read through older threads, you will find many examples of the same, "I want to build this and that", from people with little to no experience and, understandably, it wears on the patience of some of the veterans here. (I'm not necessarily referring to this thread)

Also, there are not "many people that dismiss George Buehler" here. What I have read in numerous threads is that his ingenuity is respected. The worst that I have read is that some are not fans of his aesthetic choices, but admire his abilities and what he contributed to boat-building.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.