To Build or Have Built ...

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Tzuriel, Oct 27, 2006.

1. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

labour

We did a BR 485 from a Dutch cut kit, marketing of BR stated about 650-800 hours to fabricated stage, after having to have 2/3 rds of the kit recut in Australia due to wrong keel supplied & mismatched plate thicknesses from port to stb the build came in at about 2000hrs ready to blast. The fit up of the kit was pretty good, it was mostly the wait for recutting that bothered us & of course the owner wanted to believe the BR BS on hours(we never did!).In the end they ended up with a well built(& independently surveyed as such) cruising yacht. As others are saying, don't believe the marketing of these plans, 50' yachts are measured in man years rather than hours to compleat. Regards from Jeff.

2. yago

yago __

Well, in this case I would correct my estimate to 10 to 12 years at least ;)

You will need to decide: do you want to HAVE or to BUILD?

If you want to have a boat, better buy something second hand and go saling now.

If you want to build, you should be very clear about the fact that the project will be the main element for a very large slice of your life. It will need your full creative attention for many years, will influence you in your decisions for jobs and relationships and the choice of your friends and the car you drive and the house you live in and the furniture you will not buy. And a lot of people get married and to see their kids grow up before the boats hits the water.

It's BIG. And a person does not have that many big slices in a live to dispose of.

Sometimes, in these discussions it seems as if the boats that take a long time to be built are seen as failures. I don't think so, I think that they are the true success stories, and they are often very well built, and they have grown into and enriched the builders life, have become are part of the family.

Considering a building project for a 50' with a perfectionist approach and asking for the time it will take, is not a very good starting point. ;)

Having said that, if you want to go sailing soon, and still build your own boat, you can, if
    - you go small, 30 - 35 feet max
    - you keep the boat extremely simple and low tech in all respects, spartan accomodation
    - your job allows you to spend long periods full time on site
    - you have the cash secured

I think you could build a 35 footer with "racing" accomodation and an off the shelf rig paid for and just popped on, the hull and deck straightforward hardchine or origami in metal or ply/epoxy in about 1 Years full working time 12 to 14 hours 7/7. I have seen that done.

A boat like that can take you anywhere.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.