Carter 37

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Chorus, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Chorus

Chorus Junior Member

I'm looking for Carter 37 plan (Hull + sailing), just for artistic drawings.
    Anybody could find it with a scan in an old review ?

Tx by advance

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Only one I could find; Waianiwa and Moonlight.

Attached Files:

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

This is Ydra (Carter one ton) and prototype of Carter production 37'. From Sail Magazine December 1972. Contact Y. M. Tanton for further details.......

CarterYdra.jpg

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

5. MUSTANG6060

MUSTANG6060 Junior Member

Dear all,
    Happy owner of one Carter 37 since 1998, I'm pleased to join you.
    You'll find enclosed the complete lines used for building one half hull.
    Is someone aware if Dick Carter is still alive ? He should be happy to know that I won last 28th April "le Tour de Belle Ile" with some X-362, X-442, IMS 38, behind me !
    Kind Regards.

View attachment Carter 37 Plan de formes Mustang.pdf
    Demi-coque avant.jpg
    View attachment couple.doc

6. Bob Fawkes

Bob Fawkes New Member

Hi, I also have a Carter 37. I'm her 2nd owner, must be 17 years now. Great boat, still competitive under IOR rating 0.949, based East Coast UK. She has a steel beam which runs across the boat connecting to the keel bolts & chain plates. All hidden away forward to the main bulkhead. Do you know if this is standard construction or a later modification?

Regards,
    Bob.

7. MUSTANG6060

Carter 37 -steel beam

Hi Bob !

Thanks for your message. Sorry, but I've never heard about this steel beam installed on Carter 37. Perhaps yours should meet weakness on hull.
    I will search on french sail-magazine and will come back to you.
    No news about Dick Carter ?
    Regards

Attached Files:

8. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

I dont know much about the Carter 37 but my '66 Morgan Columbia 40 has a steel skeleton...(or did)...the stem part of the steel tube is still there and relatively intact...I havent checked the lateral ribs.etc yet...but it seems very similar to what you are referring to with the Carter 37. On the C-40 the central steel tube had three crossed ribs connected to chainplates coming off sideways from a keel-run steel tube that starts juts aft of mid-section that led forward to the stemplate...

Attached Files:

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Guys......

Honestly, contact Yves-Marie Tanton for construction details etc on the Carter boats, Yves was chief designer in the Carter office.

10. Bob Fawkes

Bob Fawkes New Member

Thanks very much for the replies, I've no pictures of the steel beam I would need to take some of the interior out to take photos. I think that Dick Carter may have passed away in 2007, I can't remember where I heard that so possibly not fact.

Mustang 6060, your boat looks great, I seem to be having a problem attaching a photo of mine....

11. MUSTANG6060

Carter 37 - steel beam

Hi Bob,
    As promised, please find attached two 1973 articles.
    I'm sorry the language is French, but it's now easy to translate on the web.
    In the "construction" part no mention of steel beam. No more information in the second document from Carter-Offshore, importer from Olympics Yards in Greece. The building was under control of Lloyd's Register of shipping.
    We can read that 6 longitudinal Omegas in fiber glass filled with polyurethane foam make the strength of the hull.
    Another detail IRC rating

PS : my TCC is 0.936.
    Regards,
    Phil.
    Carter 37-Mustang-profile0001.jpg
    View attachment construction Carter-37.pdf
    View attachment construction010001.pdf

12. Bob Fawkes

Bob Fawkes New Member

FASTNET 07 snapmyboat 002.jpg
    Hi Phil,
    I had always thought that information on the 37 was not available, thanks for sending it over, our french is not good but adequate to translate. I have not met many other owners (maybe this is not relevant to this forum) We raced against Irish Mist years ago in Ireland, theres a couple of 37's in Holland, also came across one in Spain. Not that long ago, 2006, the Newport Bermuda race was won by a 37 from the States, I met her navigator at the RORC before the 2007 Fastnet.

Maybe you have a furling headsail to get down to 0.936? Our boat is called Tigo IV.

Regards,
    Bob.

13. MUSTANG6060

Hi Bob,

Your TIGO IV looks great with pretty sails! Irish mist is still running? I've always dreamed to meet her! Before to buy my Mustang ex-Obsession (serial n°13 built in 1972 in Greece, fitted in 1999 with a furling headsail), I was hesitating with one Tina, the other Carter's good looking plan from Rabbit, winner in Fastnet 65 (Dick was 33). I think there are less than 15 Carter-37 in France (7-8 in Brittany where I sail) but it's not easy to sail together. I've read that Dick was working in a lighthouse near Boston (Nahant, USA) & retired in UK.
    But probably Yves Marie Tanton knows more about him & your steel-beam...
    Regards
    Phil.

14. Luc Vernet

Luc Vernet Senior N.A.

Thanks Tad for posting these beautiful sections of Ydra, with the pencil marks still visible at the intersections.....a lovely reminder of these old days where we would spend days and nights with our battens and curves, looking at them at all angles, and re-drawing...and re-drawing again and again....!

Old days that, frankly, I do not regret that much! Although still doing the first sketches by hand, computers and the 3D/ b-splines based programs are such wonderful tools....although still needing to print many times to be able to look at curves properly!

But this is also a drawing of old days that are, for me, reminders of a Dick Carter designed boat that will always have a special place in my heart: the 55' "Coriolan", of which I was the skipper in her last racing year. A fantastic boat, able to beat to windward in a gale while larger ones were hoving to, or absolutely unbeatable the moment we would hoist her famous black and yellow spinnaker (up to when a stupid decision by owner, Christian de Galea, to reduce the size of the spinnakers and pole to gain a few inches of rating...!). She could also broach in a glance with her undersized rudder, or have green water running all along her (teak) deck up to her (varnished mahogany) short roof, but also be a proper "yacht" once the race was over, and number of celebrities had come aboard...the most impressive for me, young man at that time, being the top sex symbol at that time: Brigitte Bardot (and three of her dogs!). Was hard to take my eyes off her bikini!!!:)

15. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

What's the fastest speed this boat is known to have sailed? Did it ever hit 15 kts?