off trailer & on to cradle ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pescaloco, Feb 17, 2007.

1. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

hello, looking for some advise. need to remove a 27ft deep v hard chaine hull from a trailer and install on a wooden cradle, there will be no chance of overhead lifting, it will have to be floor jacks and wood. the good news is that the hull is bare no decks, or cap, weights maybee 1,500 lbs.

any advise, I have a limited amount of time for the transfere, so I want to have my ducks in a row............thanks

mark

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Call your big friends over for a boat lift/BBQ and free beer. Provide the beer after the lift.

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Bubba-power

4. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

boat lift

thanks, it all came together faster than i thought it would, a trailer came available yesterday. 4 guys 2 floor jacks ,wood blocks and couple hours, done !!...............and yeah your right beer AFTER not during.

mark

5. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Well done.

Every time I thought about it, all I could think of was the table cloth trick. You know, where you whip the trailer out so fast the boat would stay still.

But then I realised the guys putting the cradle under would have to be so fast that perhaps it wasn't the brightest idea.

Glad you managed without my input.:)

6. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

off the trailer

that would be cool.............heck of lot faster.............and less stressfull !!!!! at least if it fell it would all be over in seconds
    we had block and rejack the boat about 10 times and it was 40 inches off the ground. the final lift/drop off the trailer left me under the front of the hull to lower the boat with a very touchey floor jack to lower it with, I was really glad when it was all over.

now the fun begins, got a boat build

mark

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Very glad this is all done and no broken legs

I used to dump my big power boat off on to the lawn some times to use the 4 wheel trailer for something else.

Simple really just pull out the winch wire and take it right arount the bottom back roller and up to the front eye of the bow. Winching then just winched it off the trailer.

Putting back was as easy-- just offer up the trailer and connect the winch wire to the bow eye and winch away, however you must allow the trailer to go high in the air it will come down again as the weight comes on.

8. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

winching

thanks jack, that sounds like good way to do it

mark