Gelcoat spraying

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ncrncevic, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ncrncevic

ncrncevic Junior Member

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The last one you listed is best and will do many more jobs than all of the other combined . 2.5 NOZZLE IS OK !!
    When you spray gel coat find plastic containers to fit inside to hold the gel coat or paint !! Can catalyze!,mix and then place into the pot and put on the lid and tighten and then spray .
    The plastic container is one thing less thing you will have to clean . wait till has gone hard and break out !!and you container is ready to ues again , if you are carefull the container will last long time . If it is not clean 100% will show you the catalyst was not mixed Properly
    If you have never used a pressure pot before carefully read the instructions before you start to use so you completely understand how it works and what everything does . Star with all pressure setting at 0 psi slowly wind up the pot pressure then set th gun air pressure to about 35 psi and adjust the pot pressure till you get a flow then adjust needle on the gun and the fan setting to get a nice spray . Gell coat you are looking for product on the job bu also good spray . Takes time to learn . Also need a egg timer to set when you catalyze the gel coat !,The timmer will tell you when it is time to flush ,clean out the pot, lines, and the gun .
    Can spray almost anything with a pressure pot . Keep it totally clean always !!will last you a life time ,. dont need anything else !!:)

The G 100 spatter gun is the crudest gun any one can think of apart from throwing a bucket of catalyzed gel goat at a mould .

I did see some one advertising a external catalizing gun the same as the G100 but with a external catalyst spray unit on the side . In the hands of a beginner thats got to be a time bomb !!!

The D660 is a gravity feed touch up gun Meant for smallish jobs with thinned gelcoat or runny paint etc etc
    The G960 is a smaller version of the big pressure pot works the same just on a smaller scale . If you can find a good secondhand one grab it . I have adapted all my fittings to Quick release off my G960 /9 LTR pressure pot to hook straight onto my G960 SMALLER 2.5 LTR so when i want to do a speckle coat job or spray a small job of less than one meter sqr/meter i just use the small unit with a plastic container and drop it inside the Small pot !!

3. ncrncevic

ncrncevic Junior Member

i can do al with za 2.5 nozzle ? its not to small ?

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I just looked at your location and you get lots of cold weather so will need a bigger nozzle as well as the smaller one for the summer months .
    When gel coat gets cold it becomes quite thick . You have two choices !!,you get the place and the gel coat warm or thin the gel coat a little with acetone or styrene to make it spray out of the gun better . But if you thin the gel coat you will have the gelcoat changing colour slightly .Getting everything warm is much better option !! :p

5. ncrncevic

ncrncevic Junior Member

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

When you order the gun ask for bigger nozzle Maybe 3 bits !! Nozzle ,air cap ,and needle!! These all go together they are a set !!!bigger hole !!bigger needle!! bigger place for air to come out !!!.
    Looking very closely at the gun and pot , The regulater on the pot is only to change the pot pressure . so full air pressure goes to the gun all the time . Is good to be able to regulate the gun air to cut down on the amount of over spray going all over the place need regulator valve fot the air line to the gun as well .

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fi...ing/tooling-gel-coat-application-39948-3.html

Check out this post on Boat design this is a place i posted some pictures of 2 pressure pots ( one big 9kg and one small 2-5 kg )i made myself from just old parts in in boxes in our store room , it Can give you idea what i am talking about !!:D:D

7. ncrncevic

ncrncevic Junior Member

i saw that, nice

what type of gelcoat are you using?

i was looking satajet and they prefere nozzle 4.0 5.0

but the gun and all cost 1300 € it is to much

many of people i ask in croatia they say i need a bigger nozzle
    but i was looking in USA on some forums all they use 2.5

If i use 2.5 i need bigger pressure than when i do it with 4.0 ?

thx

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

We have just standard gel coat ! small jobs we use a pressure pot !! big decks and hulls we use a venus gun with inline heater and internal mix catalyst , The 48 foot deck takes about 80 minutes to spray . It makes nice job but the guys have not got used to using it yet . Has small nozzle or they get runs every where all the time !!

The best for your new pot would be to get small nozzle for paint and big nozzle for gel coat then you are covered for all situations

9. ncrncevic

ncrncevic Junior Member

i have to do a 24 ft hull mold

how many gelcoat i have to put on the mold in mm ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.