Tinting gelcoat.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by wrbowcal, Sep 17, 2011.

1. wrbowcal

wrbowcal Junior Member

I hope you guys can make sence of this here goes.

I have 3 gal of neutral gel coat unwaxed and 1 gal of white unwaxed to spray my boat.I mixed half the blue tint that was recommended for one gal to one gal to get a sky blue at 3% tint...didnt work so I mixed in another full gallon of neutral to the previous gallon and its still way to dark leaving me 2gal for above the rub rail. I may have messed up a little they said no more than 6% colorant and I just assumed 3% would lighten it up alot but it didnt.Should I add some of the white to the 2 gal of blue mix to get the sky blue that I want and what would be a close ratio.and I need a Light gray for above the rub rail how much black tint to the white gel coat should I add?I will spray two coats below the rub rail to the hull sky blue and and one waxed coat for above the rubrail. flybridge and aft cabin everything.The hull I will brush on later.

Material I have.

3gal neutral gelcoat unwaxed
    1gal white gelcoat unwaxed
    blue colorant
    white colorant
    black colourant
    MEKP
    acetone
    1qt styrene wax

Will I have enough gel coat ?

I have a 2.5qt pot gun and 2mm tip.

Its going to be cold 60 degrees tomorrow would it be wise to go 2.5% catyalist or will it set before the pots empty?

Attached Files:

2. Davidmoody

Davidmoody New Member

Mixing dupont 380

I have this product in a quart can ,,,like a fool I applied it directly with a foam
    brush.....you can imagine the results....it tells me to thin it out with lacquer3602S.... I don't have a spray gun to apply any suggestions....???

Thanx Dave Moody

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Less colorant will make it more translucent but not much lighter. You need to use a lighther blue tint or add white.

4. Davidmoody

Davidmoody New Member

Too bad about the Brewers,,,I'm watching Texas I hope they win but st Louis is good..
    I need to thin out the gelcoat... I'm starting to touch up the faded gelcoat on my 1976 Kingfisher.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.