Weight distribution

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jonvei, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jonvei

jonvei New Member

i will be rebuilding a boat (see images below) and was wondering what would be the best placement for the batteries. i will have 2 at 60lbs a piece. the boat is 16ft long and will have a 50hp 2 stroke, weighing around 150lbs. there will be 2 seats behind consoles 8ft up from the stern. i was wondering what placement should i use for the batteries to help with planing out the boat when under full throttle. i figure that it would be good to place the batteries in the 2 center consoles near midships instead of up front where i see a lot of them placed. any ideas ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Some things to keep in mind always is batteries and fuel are a explosive combination so the further apart you can have them in a boat the better !! Also Batterys need to be keep up off the floor so they dont get water on or near them .
    Apart from the corrosion the acid mixed with salt is leathal mix .
    Batteries under the console up off the floor a few inchs and the fuel tanks forward of the console but not way up front .
    If your tanks get put inside a compartment make sure it is well vented so no fumes can aqumilate anywhere at all like under floors or sealed compartments etc etc .
    Batteries need to have vents as well because the let off a explosive gas as they are charging from the outboard alternator.
    There needs to be vents near the top of the box also near the bottom as well , some gases are lighter than air so they need to be able to naturally cycle out of the compartment or Box !!

Tote tanks can be moved around inside the boat to get the final balance , but remember they are always getting lighter as the fuel is being used up so you balance will shift as the fuel is used up !!!

I notice the hull has a round shape on the outer of the hull You may find the water will want to climb up the sides of the hull the faster you go !!
    This can be fixed with a small strip of wood all the way along at a chine level or a strip of aluminium to help shed the water away from the hulls surface !!
    Good luck !!:p

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

You'll want to experiment with their fore and aft placement along the centre line of the boat.

Once finalized, secure them in a top ventilated box so they don't become projectiles under any circumstances.

The top cover must be of non-conductive material so no sparks can occur even if the boat is inverted.

Why two batteries?

-Tom

4. jonvei

jonvei New Member

because i wanted one for the motor and one for the trolling motor but i decided to go with just one