will a platform make it more stable

Discussion in 'Stability' started by 14ft, Apr 5, 2011.

1. 14ft

14ft Junior Member

i have a 14ft jon boat that was really unstable so i put a platform at the front and in the middle with carpet, i havnt had a chance to take it out for a whirl but what do yall think

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That will raise the center of gravity and make it more unstable.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

If you want to keep the floor, put heavy items under the floor to make it more stable. High density dead weight would be the most efficient way to lower the center of gravity with your floor in place, the lower the better. Enlarging the keel might also add some dampening to the motion that will make it feel a bit more comfortable, but the static stablity will not be affected much unless it was made from lead or steel.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you think a Jon boat is "unstable" then maybe boating isn't the thing for you, as most Jon boats are very stable. Maybe it's best you gain some experience with you Jon boat first.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I would agree that this will make it less stable. Keeping the center of gravity as low as possible will help. In other words sit as low in th boat as possible. Stow gear as low as possible.

Another thing is what PAR said. Jon boats typically seem tippy at first. But as they heel they gain stability. There are two measures of stability, initial stability and reserve stability. Initial stability is a measure of how stable the boat is when sitting upright. Reserve stability is how stable the boats is when heeled over. Jon boats typically have a lot of reserve stability because of the sloping sides. This doesn't mean you can't turn it over, it just means that as the boat leans over it gets harder to make it lean more.

6. PAR

This stability issue is a bit of subjection, again as a flat bottom Jon boat has fairly high initial stability, particularly compared to moderate and deep V bottom counter parts of similar size. Small boats in general have a good bit of "movement" but this shouldn't be confused with stability. Again, get some practical experience in the boat and then consider modifications, once you have some "sea legs".

7. ekamarine

ekamarine Junior Member

Try to do your improvements for a level under your current center of gravity since the aim is taking this point lower to make the boat more stable. I don't know what others think about this but putting some lead nuggets might be the easiest way.

8. PAR

I think ballasting a little, aluminum, 14' Jon boat, that the current owner thinks is some how tender is frankly, silly. A flat bottom Jon boat, is about as initially stable as you can get in a 14' boat, this side of a barge.

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I agree with Par. Ballasting a little fishing boat is a poor way to improve it. I do concede that there are some aluminum jon boats on the market that seem to be designed with criminal intent. Some of the small ones are very narrow across the bottom. I mean like 32 inches. That makes the boat pretty shaky for the inexperienced boater.

If you put platforms on the boat you have compounded the problem. Take those things off and burn em. Also, definitely do not use a popular but bad idea like the swivel stools that are so prevalent and dangerous on little boats. Sit as low as possible in the boat, not on a damned stool. And dont be standing in the boat unless you like to swim. And while I am on this rant....Do not use a big motor on a little boat. I see 12 footers with 25 HP motors. That is seriously stupid and dangerous in the extreme.

10. PAR

Matt they're just providing what the public wants, a little aluminum fishing platform that can scoot like hell, with a portable outboard (25 HP or less). So, to improve motoring preformance and poling ability, they narrow the bottom. These boats operate in two modes, poling around the flats (maybe trolling motor) and screaming along, up on plane with partially drunk anglers aboard. About once or twice a season, I pickup a boat load of these guys, with some sort of complaint "I forgot the transom plug", "what is a transom plug" and my personal favorite "I was leaning over to land this monster, when JimBob looked over the side too and that's the last thing I remember before we were swimming" . . . Yep, we need to have a specific amount of entertainment value, built into our boating choices. I mean if you've seen one pickup truck up to it's door handles at the boat ramp you've seen a dozen and it looses it's "charm" after the first few, so the manufactures are preforming a well needed service as far as I'm concerned.

11. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Paul: I salute you for both your wit and your wisdom. There is a bit of Darwinian implication in your remarks.

1 person likes this.
  12. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Rant: Last Saturday, a local 30 year old man took his 10 year old son fishing (Lake Alfred Florida). Ten foot jon boat. The man was a capable swimmer and an athlete. He did not wear his PFD but the ten year old did. The kid managed to swim to shore but the father drowned. The ten foot Jon is attractive because it will slide into the back of a pickup truck or even into a van. Damn poor reason for drowning.

How did this tragedy happen? The father reached across the boat to grab a fishing line, the boat heeled, the 50 pound battery that powered the trolling motor slid to the low side, the boat then went rail down, and capsized. The kid is now fatherless.

Statistical data from Florida agencies:
    1. Of the 65 boating fatalities in Florida, during 2009, 85% of the victims were older than 21.
    2. 73% of those who died in boating accidents were capable swimmers.
    3. 72% of the 485 people who drowned in Florida,during 2009, were capable swimmers.

The statistical charts fail to say how many people drowned who were wearing their PFD. I suspect the number would be a very small one. The chart also failed to say how many of the boating accident victims were overloading their boat and how many of them were in, then out, of one of those ill concieved miniature jon boats. The rules of the Florida Game and Fish commision specifically mention that it is unlawful to exceed the weight and/or number of passengers as stated on the boat manufacturers ID plate. The game commission officer will ticket violators to the tune of $200 or so but people routinely overload their boats, especially little boats.

13. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Junior Member

14ft: a couple pool noodles ties to the outside of the gunnels will help , but you arent going to make the boat much less tippy. perhaps you could mount some pontoons on outriggers if you want but best bet is to heed the advice of those above me

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.