Sailboat kit from the 1960s

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by JaneRow, Jun 30, 2017.

1. JaneRow

JaneRow New Member

Hello! I am looking for information on an old sailboat kit that was for sale in the early 1960s. Here is what I know:

--It was a mail-order kit that didn't require a whole ton of assembly
    --The deck was roughly the size of a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and may have actually been one
    --It had no rudder
    --The model was called the "Go" or something similar

I know it's not a lot to go on, but I'm hoping there are some experts here who have been around long enough to recognize it. Any information is greatly appreciated!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry, but it's likely you'll need to provide a bit more information about what you might remember. I was around then and there were a few kits, though nothing like today (lots of kits now) and not many thought much of them, preferring to use free plans, published in "Popular Mechanics" or other DIY magizines. Don't get me wrong, quite few were built I'd suspect as this was the building craze era, but times were changing with 'glass construction coming on strong and other industry pressures.

www.svensons.com - Free Boat Plans From "Science and Mechanics" Magazines http://www.svensons.com/boat/

This site has a number of old, previously published plans, maybe it'll jog your memory. I built a couple of these, "back in the day" and some were done by well known designers. Now these aren't "kits", they might have been at some point.

Also try to hone down the name, length, rig type, etc., which would help greatly amongst us old farts, whose memory may not be what it once was. It's quite probable you'll not nail the exact boat down (there's thousands of them), so maybe you might try to define what you're looking for in this antique kit. 8' long boats are basicly kids boats or a couple of small adults, that aren't interested in sailing very well, just puttering along. What shape was it (flat or V bottom, pram, skiff, round bilge, etc.), what was the rig, was it a "sit on top" type of boat, like a SunFish or something else. Modern kits and boat designs, tend to be much better sailors, lighter, less costly to build, more watertight, easier to assemble, etc., etc., etc.

Lastly, have a look at Glen-L, whose founder just passed the other day.

Sailboats-boatdesign https://www.boatdesigns.com/Sailboats/departments/12/

Many of these designs have been produced in various forms, including kits. At least it'll give you a good place to refine your needs and your search.

3. JaneRow

JaneRow New Member

Thanks PAR, this was helpful!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.