Need Tachometer Help. Lost

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by snowbirder, May 22, 2015.

1. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

I've never had outboards with tachometers before.

How do I hook these up??

A similar connector is on my BRP ignition switch. The pins on this tach are not even labeled and there is no manual provided.

Lost.

Starting at the most basic, how is this hooked up to these proprietary BRB cables for my Etec 30's?

Thanks

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. snowbirder

And how about these fuel gauges while we're at it?

Tanks hae a ground and a signal.

Gauges have a ground, a "L"ight and an "S" and "I" connection.

Again, no manual.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Fuel gauges:
    "L" to any 12V connection (switch panel or ignition switch), clamp to ground, "S" to tank element and "I" to a regulated voltage, usually 9V. If the gauges have an internal regulator, connect "I" to 12V.

Tacho:
    If you have the proper cable, insert the plug in "IN", the other end goes to the engine junction box. The "OUT" socket loops through for another instrument that you probably do not have, so leave it open.

There usually is a flimsy user manual included, unless you got it all for free.

4. snowbirder

Thank you very much!

I got them at a great discount. They were extras from a large boat manufacturer. But... no manuals. Even the website of the gauge manufacturer doesn't have manuals for these because they were manufactured for an OEM.

5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

The easiest way to hook that tach up is to simply connect a nearby 12v source to the "sig" pin and set the selector switch to "4". It can simply be jumpered from the "+" connection you provide to it. The residual AC frequency coming from the engine alternator is what the tach converts to RPM. I like that setup for another reason..you get instant feedback if your charging system stops working, because the tach will stop working even with engine running.

6. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I would have thought the easiest way is to purchase the omc tach harness . it plugs into the remote controls unless they have dropped that idea with etecs.

7. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Might be so. All my OMC outboards are older and on all that I have a tach hooked up, I'm just using the alternator frequency mode and 'own' wiring..

8. snowbirder

No way!! Really?

There is a residual AC or at least weird waveform on the +12v coming from the outboard alternatorn and in to my +12v side???

I can just connect to that?

That's incredibly easy! I'll do that!

What an elegant method without having to buy expensive cables to run back to the outboard.

9. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

The AC power produced by the alternator is only rectified to become "DC"; lots of "ripple" still present. So it's perfect for a freq-to-voltage conversion device.

1 person likes this.