Tight cutlass bearing

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Frosty, May 1, 2010.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I am using 10inch cutlass bearings for my rudder shafts. This works very well and cured a vibration rattle that I had previously.

However the bearings are still a little bit tight and have got tighter.

It still steers Ok but but I thought I would drop the rudders out at the next haul out and try to grind out the bearing a tiny amount without removing the bearing from its tube.

I was thinking of a grinding disc ground down to 50mm and put onto a threaded bar with nuts holding the grinding disc, with a bit of washing up liqiud as a lubricant I thought a couple of passes with the electric drill would just shave a bit off.

Or a 50mm piece of wood turned down to 49mm and coated with epoxy and sand.

Any better ideas.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

A simple wooden stick of say 1,5 - 2cm diam. with a slit sawn in, then a piece of sandpaper inserted into that slit. Put the stick in a el. drill and go sanding.

Although only one side of the sandpaper will work, it does the trick, you will remove only a bit.

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.