starlet engine and gearbox in transit roof!

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by tanslet, Apr 27, 2011.

1. tanslet

tanslet New Member

well how is everybody? its my first time on here and i would like to start off saying i know noting about boats! but i love fishing and hate padling so i cut the roof of a transit and put a starlet 1l carb engine and 4spd box in if! i used a cooling fan off a toyota hiace to drive it. but it was only doing bout 10mph in 4th at 60mph it didnt go any faster wen i reved it. i workd out wen the car is doing 60mph the wheel spins at 1200rpm is that enouf rpm for my prop? or is the prop not suted? or the prop is only 3/4 under water is thata problem? any help would be apricated!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can't make any sense of your post. You cut the top of a van and put an engine in it?

3. tanslet

tanslet New Member

ya i used a fiberglass roof upside down. i put a starlet engine an gbox in it and a cooling fan off a toyota hiace as a propller. it goes but only slowley

4. wardd

wardd Senior Member

i want to see pics of that

5. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Well done Gonzo!!! It took three days to find someone with the b@lls to reply to that.!!!

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The setup is very inefficient. At the very least get an old propeller.

7. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

Me too. It sounds like an episode of Junkyard Wars. I love that show. Show us some pictures!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.