Offshore Challenge

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Willallison, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

if it were lumpy and a very good 7m hull could average 16 knots, she would run 10 hrs at 50l hr, , I ask you will babes, how many 7m boats have a 500l tank? that is given the length of the longest leg. 163 miles

3. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

If I were there I might enter the race and run it in a Tolman Seabright Skiff -- or an improved modification of this boat -- with a 20 HP engine doing 15 knots. I would probably come in last unless the waves slowed all the high speed planing boats down a lot ... but I would certainly win the prize for using the least amount of fuel!

:)

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Looks like a fascinating concept, would probably be crazy fun to participate in. Much like the "Targa Newfoundland" rally (but for boats), in terms of format and scoring. Hopefully the '08 will draw a larger field.

5. Willallison

Stu - Well, ours carries 800L:p There are pics aplenty of boats that don't however, and they ran the event last year - apparently without drama. But then, maybe they didn't encounter a great deal of rough weather..? I suspect that most - or all - carried extra.

Kengrome - actually you might have a very good chance of winning. The event isn't a race as such, it's a time trial. If its run the same way as we run ours, you nominate a speed, claculate the course distance and are penalised for every second you are early or late. They're great fun.

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

all time on the water is fun ,,unless you are a commercial fisherman,,,,,looks like a good time,,longliner

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

There is a description of the competition concept on the website. Looks like each leg is different, with different target speeds. I imagine the longest leg has a very moderate speed. They talk of "big" boats, but the photos all seem to be in the range of 7 - 9 meters long.

Kengrome, Will is right, it's for accuracy more than outright speed, so you could enter that boat and win. Go for it! :)

8. Willallison

I'd be very surprised if anyone but the entrant set the target speeds. Obviously, you would have to complete each leg within a given overall time for safety reasons, but other than that, I'm sure it would be up the competitor's. Half the skill in an event like this is to assess the likely weather / sea conditions and choose a speed that you are capable of maintaining. Simple events only record your time at the finish line, but more serious competitions include time checks along the way - so there's no zooming along, then stopping to catch some fish 'till it's time to quickly nip around the corner and 'cross the line....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.