Thru hull battery cables

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by redwood, Dec 1, 2005.

1. redwood

redwood New Member

Hi-
    Im in the process of building a 15' ply motor skiff in the US. I am designing the boat with a centerline locker/bench that can carry a bank of batteries ( and perhaps a charger and/or other needed electricals.....) I am not trying to design the electrics at this exact moment but just planing for how the boat accomodates different variables. so....
    Lets asume
    1) that either a small outboard or electric motor with hang off the transom with a small transom well.
    2) That I REALLY want the batteries to stay in the middle of the boat for weight distribution problems.
    3) That I am also trying to find a way to put a fuel tank in the bow, with the tank fill plate back in or near that transom well, and even though it sounds insane..running that fuel line under the floor boards to the bow...but thats another post at another time......ah...weight distribution.
    I would like to be able to vertically mount remote battery posts in this well that either type of motor can take advantage of. Then from inside the hull, the other end of the same posts would take another run of battery cable under the rear seats, under the floor boards and down to the center bench .....and the batteries..
    I can envision this, I just dont know exactly how to safely accomplish this. Ive been unable to find any type of connector/panel/post type set up like this. Do they exist? Can I build one? ( obviously there are safety issues...but can somebody run them by me...?)
    Also, if I run the cable under the floor..should i sheathe them in conduit? (especially if their is a remote possibility that there might be fuel lines near by) and if so, what type of conduit...

All help hugely appreciated!

J

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I designed and modified electrical machinery . I am backing off of this one completly.

3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

LMAO! :D

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you install a standard battery switch you can make a cable run from one side of the bulkhead and have wires coming out the other side.

5. redwood

redwood New Member

simple

Thanks for the simple solution to an overthought question -
    I live in the middle of nowhere, so a brick & mortar marine hardware outlet isnt easy for me to access- and sometimes the pics on websites just dont do it - as seems the case with a simple..battery switch ;-)

6. EngNate

EngNate USCG: DDE-1000

7. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I'd keep that fuel filler plate right next to the tank, that gets a problem out of the way for starters. Then put the tank near where you'll need it and use the batteries to balance the boat.

Why do you want an aux 12? volt connector? surely a shore-power socket and an internal charger would be easier? then you just have a question of plugging it in. There are a thousand solutions for that one.

You should always use either a battery selector switch or a battery isolator switch for safety anyway. Sometimes you can do it with a small key-switch and a relay (same as the cars do), but that depends on the expected load.

Tim B.

8. redwood

redwood New Member

Great help

Thank you SO much for the part link - it was exactly what i was searching for!!!

As for the advice regarding moving the fill plate, and other hook up options, they too were extremely helpful ( and will be applied). I know enough about electrical..to know that I want sombody more qualified than myself to do the final design (smile), but this particular issue I wanted solved up front for a variety of reasons. This forum is fantastic and I cannot express enough appreciation.