Anyone know where to buy this extrusion?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Jamie Greenfield, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Jamie Greenfield

Jamie Greenfield Junior Member

Rough dimensions are 2.5 x1 inch.

Thanks for any info
    Picture001.jpg Picture001.jpg

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

There are several aluminum extruders online and they have a host of various profiles for you to look at. I know this is a pain in the butt, but after an hour or two, you should find one. Additionally, you might try a metal fabricator, who may have books with these same profiles and you can just flip through until you nail it down.

3. Jamie Greenfield

Hi PAR,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately i have already done what you are suggesting and did not have any luck - hence the post here. I have seen others with this extrusion which i dont believe to be a custom order but who knows maybe it is?

Thought it was worth a shot here among boat friends. Maybe someone has seen it before?

Cheers

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

5. Jamie Greenfield

Doesnt have to be exact but something similar. 3/16 or 1/4 wall. Approximately 2.5x1 with the smaller upstand.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Check the last link

7. Jamie Greenfield

Very close but not quite

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member

What is the application? Is the inside width between the upper and middle piece 1 1/2 inch?

9. Jamie Greenfield

Hi Barry, Not sure on inside width exactly but 1-1.5" would be fine. Application is planing/lifting strakes on aluminum jet boat. Currently using 3x1 angle but it's getting squashed flat a little too easy. The extra upstand would stiffen it a lot.

10. Barry

Barry Senior Member

I would just buy a 3 x 3 by 3/8 or 1/2 inch and cut one side down to the 1 inch if the 1 x 3 has proven it to be the best profile for your boat. We normally purchased 3 x 5 as we had a 7 foot chine with 12 degree deadrise so we wanted a wide flat turned down maybe 10 or more degrees. So we cut the 3 inch side down to suit.

11. Jamie Greenfield

Yes i have thought about going up a wall thickness but it can already be quite tricky to form up in the bow because the boats are so short the curves are quite tight. Also not keen on the labour to rip a section off every piece of extrusion on every boat. That and weight. If i can find the pictured extrusion it would be better for what i am doing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.