Bow Railing Vibration

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by cschreiber, Apr 3, 2006.

1. cschreiber

cschreiber New Member

I am having a 32" aluminum mono hull built. The plans show the bow railing stopping at the front of the cabin, about 8' on both sides of the boat. I want to extend the rails an extra 8~9' to the back of the cabin but I have heard that these rails will vibrate and resonate into the cabin. This I'm am told will be quite loud. Is there any means to dampen this vibration so my friends and crew can stay in the cabin underway.
    Any help in solving this vibration would be greatly appreciated.

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Usually it is a matter of using rubber pads and connectors to isolate the rail from the cabin.

If you wanted to get technical; To reduce the amplitude and increase the frequency you could stiffen up the railing by using a larger section rail, if you had a decent CAD drawing of the rail the vibration could easily be analyzed with an FEA package. Clamping heavy objects on the rail can also damp the amplitude but I think I would go with the rubber mounts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.