Through hull fittings

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by 42 below, Dec 15, 2007.

1. 42 below

42 below Junior Member

Hi
    I am currently refitting a Roberts steel ketch and was looking for some advice!
    The question is do I paint the boat before I put my through hull fittings in?
    Cheers Doug:idea:

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

No, through hulls first, then primer and paint.

3. 42 below

42 below Junior Member

Cheers Kay 9

4. SteelTrawler

SteelTrawler Junior Member

I am curious, what are your thru hulls made of?

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

only when it is welded on...
    Any other through hull fitting that get screwed on, prime and paint first before fitting.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Kay9,

I've got no experience at all with steel hull construction, but I'm surprised (if not welding the through-hull in) that one wouldn't sand rough hole edges, prime at least inside and out with epoxy, and then attach the through-hulls. This, I would think, would protect steel from corrosion/electrolysis better. I'm not saying I know this is true, but only want to know why not.

Alan

7. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

No, you guys are right. I assumed he was putting steal through hulls in. If not welding in through hulls paint first.

K9

8. 42 below

42 below Junior Member

Thanks chaps,
    The through hulls are stainless steel PSP fittings! and we are installing (welding) before paint.
    thanks

9. erwin.tarr

erwin.tarr Junior Member

Rhino Liner?

A little off topic but related to coatings...

Have any of you tried having a "Rhino Liner" style polymer sprayed on the interior surface? It seems that it should work. What do you think?

Ray Tarr
    Patrick AFB, Fl
    1963 Allied Seawind, Crackertail
    Hull # 25

10. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

What surface?...Wood, steal, GRP.??

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have a better suggestion. My Roberts steel hull had stand pipes to bring the water inlet cocks up to sea level. This is the best idea since sliced bread.

Your boat wont sink and you can take the cocks off (with a bit of slop) to overhaul them should you so require.

Any blockages can be cleaned out without going in the water. If you use a ball valve you can also clear by roding straight through. KIS

1 person likes this.
  12. erwin.tarr

erwin.tarr Junior Member

Rhino Liner?

In referance to Kay9's question, steel hull. I was juat thinking that if Rhino Liner works so well on trucks, it might work on hulls. I know they provide a lifetime guarentee. My only concern would be trapping moisture or rust under the polymer. It would be a bugger to get to once dry.

I have a chance to get a steel hulled sailboat with a beautiful interior for a song-and-a-dance but it needs 30-40% of the plating below the waterline replaced. Do any of you have any experience in this?
    Also, if and when complete, I will be selling my 30 foot Allied Seawind pilothouse in case anyone is interested...

Ray Tarr
    Patrick AFB, Fl
    Hull # 25

13. erwin.tarr

erwin.tarr Junior Member

stand pipes

What an amazing, simple, and "why the heck doesn't everyone do this" idea. All three of my seacocks are stuck in the open position on my Seawind and I am worried ever time I go sailing. Unfortunately, I can't change the seacokcks unless I put her on the hard (an expensive proposition).

Ray Tarr
    Patrick AFB, Fl
    Hull # 25

14. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Erwin.
    Yes I can help you out with some free advice on replaceing steel on your hull, your more then welcome to e-mail me or we can talk here.

wbcaptain at charter dot net.

As far as the rhino liner goes. I cant think of a reason it wouldnt work. Like you say it will be hard to get to if and when it corrodes, under it. So I guess that would make me think twice about doing it. I do not believe there is anything you can do to prevent rust on a steel boat. So my way of thinking is that I want access to be able to do preventive painting and scaling so that I can keep the rust in check.

K9

15. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.