Thoughts on the new Beneteau Oceanis 40

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by sailingguy123, Feb 8, 2007.

1. sailingguy123

sailingguy123 New Member

I am considering buying the new Beneteau Oceanis 40 for coastal cruising in Turkey this summer. Has anyone had a chance to test this boat, heard from someone who did or have any comments in general about the design and potential problems? Thanks for your help.

sailingguy123

2. Vega

Vega Senior Member

The Oceanis 40 is a good boat, the last of a long line of 40ft cruisers. It is reasonably fast and has a good carrying capacity. If it is what you want, only you can tell. However in the same class you have the new 40ft Bavaria Vision and I would suggest that you have a look at that one too.

I have been inside one and was amazed with the interior space and practical storage (my wife loved the boat). This boat has a better interior storage than most 42 ft and it has a very good looking interior.

After that visit I was surprised with the results of a comparison test, in a French Magazine (Voiles et Voiliers - December 2006). The Oceanis was beaten on all points of sail. I was not expecting that. The Bavaria weighs 1.4T more.

I got curious and I have asked to have a look at the stability curve. It is a very good one for this kind of boat, with a very good initial stability and a good Avs (around 127).

They have tested both boats simultaneously and with 12k, 16k and 18k of wind, the Bavaria was always faster, in all sailing positions with special relevance to the difference at the close winded one (almost half a knot).

Regarding storage measures, the Bavaria wins hands down and the engine makes a lot less noise.

The Bavaria has a much better Cold compartment (freezer) 240L against 130L and it is divided in two parts, a freezer and a fridge.

Take a look at both boats and choose what you like best. They are both good boats;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.