Catamaran Hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Devooo, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Devooo

Devooo Junior Member

I have a set of catamaran hulls that im planning on building a houseboat out of. My question is when i attach the deck how do i know if it will be level when sitting in the wate( sorry not the best choice of words) The hulls i have now slant down from front to back My concern is that i will build a deck that will be at a severe pitch you can see the pictures on this page http://catamaran.connpro.com/services.html Thanks

2. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

You need to find the Longitudinal centre of Buoyancy of the hulls.

Measure and re-draw cross sections through the hulls at equal spacings. Once you've done this its possible to use basic Simpson's integration to determine not only the LCB but also the displacement of the hulls. Alternately contact whoever built the hulls and assuming they were done to a design ask where the drawings say the LCB is.

3. Devooo

Devooo Junior Member

Thanks the the reply the man who built them passsed away So i could not find what plan/designer that he used

4. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

I'm afraid you're going to have to do it the hard way then and measure some sections. As your boat is quite narrow in the ends its worth doing this because its going to have quite a low trimming moment and it would be a shame to spend a lot of time working on the boat only to be disappointed on launch day

5. Devooo

Devooo Junior Member

the boat really isnt that narrow as it looks it the pictures Is there a website that explains how to do this? thanks again

6. Devooo

Devooo Junior Member

I also thought of building a model of the hulls to try it to see how it floats but not sure this would be an accurate way to determine

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.