thoughts on ama drag : outrigger design

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by fabrice, Feb 8, 2010.

1. fabrice

fabrice Junior Member

yes you're definitely right.
    the beauty of the kayak stabilizers (gull wing style) is in the preservation of the leaning ability, essential in kayak.
    A reason why outrigger canoe are a pain in the *** to turn. :D

Hum, I've got an aching shoulder resisting treatements, I must confess your pedal drives are becoming sexier every time I look at them !
    Do you think possible designing such a boat for sea trips ?
    Maybe you already did ?

2. fabrice

fabrice Junior Member

I clearly understand that, now.
    So my canoe could be good at paddling, or at sailing with the accurate set of amas lashed on it, but not in the same trip !

It's difficult, maybe impossible, to design a boat doing well in every kind of propulsion.

Or maybe a rowing and sailing boat do this, like a withehall.

Far away from the initial subject, indeed.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Fabrice

I have done one design that has been built for an ocean crossing with safety and long range being the priorities. It is much faster than rowing boats for the same purpose but not really suitable for brief periods in the open sea.

There is a range of possibilities depending on the level of weather protection ranging from completely enclosed to completely open. The attached shows some possibilities.

Rick W

Attached Files:

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Favrice,

Here's my suggestion as a designer of multihulls...

Weigh your potential use needs and give them a value as a percent figure. Design a main, canoe hull, that addresses the needs weighting, while offering the kind of capacity and use you intend. Create a design solution for a single set of amas that live decently in each camp and then enjoy the daylights out of the boat. Use it for several seasons on the water in all the ways you intend and then re-assess the design.

Pushing the boat in one direction to excess will make it a dog for anything else. There's always going to be some optimal type for any particular application, but it will not make for an adaptable craft for your recreational family needs.

It is possible to bridge the chasm between the two disciplines and still get a nice, all-around boat. I've done several designs to a similar formula and they are quite successful as adaptable, modular systems that can be comfortably paddled, motored or sailed.

Most of all, create a boat that is so much fun that you want to use it all the time.

5. fabrice

fabrice Junior Member

Well thank you so much all of you for the very good explainations and suggestions.

I'm going back to the drawing board, and scratch my head to really frame the intended use, with fun in mind ! :cool:

Thanks again for your time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.