Thompson Adventurer 288

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Janksta, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Janksta

Janksta New Member

I am working on a 28 1/2' Thompson Adventurer. The Stringer on the port side engine room has rotted through. I don't want to tear the entire boat apart to replace the stringer from bow to stern. I just want to replace the section in the engine room to secure the engine. My question is... Will it weaken the boat to the point it will be unsafe for me and my family if I only replace the section in the engine room?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If replaced with a nicely scarfed in repair, you'll be fine. This said, if the stringer is bad where you can see it, it's also likely bad where you can't and it makes you question, the condition of the other stringers or additional wooden elements.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.