This is so embarasing.... I sunk my boat :(

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SWG, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I know it is just wishfull thinking but we wouldn't have Americans if Christopher Columbus had used plastic crates from Target instead of those bloody ships.

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

same goes for capt cook

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

careful fiber' read your history. Reference Quebec - now who was the Master who charted the river outside Quebec so that the operation could go ahead with some degree of success - if it had't have been for this guy (?) there's a good chance the Army may never have got ashore! You could all be French instead of just half of you!:rolleyes:

4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

you read to much history walrus,

5. safewalrus

Naw, it's just that I'm old and remember some of it!

1 person likes this.
  6. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Fibreglass Jack, I didn't know that Captain Cook dicovered America as well. Did he do it before Chris or after?

1 person likes this.
  7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

after... I think... I was sleeping in history class :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Stay awake during boatschool.

9. safewalrus

Old Cook didn't discover America (the Vikings did that, so it's your fault Raggi! :p ) he just helped the English take a little bit ( well he would wouldn't he - he was English after all!) - the best bit some say - still coloured slightly pink!;)

10. luke23

luke23 Junior Member

hey, r u serious?

11. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Now that is one of the problems with the British. They don't think anythings discovered until they find it.
    Good old Cook travelled around the world a century after other explorers and the British claims he'd discovered everything.

There was already American Indians living in America long before Columbus or Cook got there so neither of them discovered squat.

12. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Cook may not have discovered "squat" (on the N. American E. Coast), but he sure did clarify alot.

His suberb work in charting the Newfoundland & Labrador Coasts, to this day, is influencing modern charts of the area.

Most people concentrate on his Pacific voyages, but he cut his exploratory teeth on the rugged NFLD. coast and in the ice cold & ice choked Labrador Current (Iceberg Alley).

Take care.

TGoz

13. safewalrus

timgoz,nice to see I'm not the only person who can appreciate a good navigator!

As for Poida's comment that it ain't right intil a Brit has sorted it out, I salute his brilliance in seeing and stating the truth!

14. safewalrus

Oh yes and Poida - fat lot of good it did the local people in America or our other penal colony (you know the one I mean) once we'd let the inmates run the asylum they proceded to kill off the locals as quickly as possible (nothing wrong with that but surely better to use 'em as stock first) [that'll get someone biteing!!!]:p

15. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Obviously Captain Cook couldn't have been computer literate or else he'd log on to Google Earth and save himself a shitload of work.

Of course anyone floating around the world in those days would have to be a good navigator.

Who charted what at what time can never be clear because not all countries jump up and down like the Brits and proclaim they have discovered something when how would they know who's preceded them?

Apparently ancient Chinese charts have been found that indicate the Chinese circumnavigated the world yonks ago (a yonk is a scientific term you use when you haven't got a clue, or know bugger all about what you are talking about.)

Captain Cook was credited to discovering Australia although it was already inhabited and then evidence was found that other nations had already been visiting over a centrury before but never made a song and dance about it.

Who ever did discover Australia I have them to thank for being stuck down here in the ******** end of the Earth. When I could be living in a nice place like Cornwall??:?:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.