thick water based acrylic paint as styrofoam sealer?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by LowelandSystem, Jan 29, 2016.

1. LowelandSystem

LowelandSystem Previous Member

Hi,
    I was working on 7 ft catamaran hull plug made out of styrofoam, and put car putty sealer and then enamel painted it. Later when I put resin fiberglass, it showed it eat away the enamel paint car putty and and attacked the styrofoam.
    Now I am working again, this I have put three coats of very thick water based acrylic based color as sealant so later i can sand it and gloss coat it. Guys do you think, this the styrofoam will be attacked again and eaten up inside. Really help needed, I dont have that much cash to buy epoxy resin, as it is too expensive in my country. Am just start up. Kind regards.:(:?:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

We used to make surfboards with styrofoam and polyester resin. Our technique was to glue newspaper with cheap waterbased glue. Never had a problem.

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

There is a polyester resin called "Styrosafe" which you can use to seal the foam and then use regular polyester for the laminate. I don't know if you can get it in Bangladesh though. Maybe Gonzos trick will be better.

Steve.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A seven foot catamaran??? Why so small? Have you done the math to determine what the load capacity will be? Is this to be a boat for use by very small humans? Is it to be a sailboat, powerboat, paddle boat?

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

No reply from LowlandSystem?

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Damn, wish I'd have known that in '67 when I melted my first shape!

7. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

That is **** brilliant!

8. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

White glue is PVA and will not be attacked by polyester but the heat of the polyester during curing will deform the styro. Even putting it out in the sun will cause it to shrink.

9. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

There is no way to say how it will work from across the world, but in about 5 minutes you can have the answer yourself.

Brush a small amount of your resin on the painted surface and see what it does.

You can do a very small area on the part, or better yet, make a small sample that duplicates what you plan to do.

StyroShield is an easier to use product than styrosafe. It’s a heavier bodied primer designed for this exact purpose.