They gotta add buttons for each power level, not cycle through levels (wearable headlamps)

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

https://www.amazon.com/Headlamp-Hea...f-492c-4c26-8f2c-e928c365e332&pf_rd_i=desktop Thats "Amazon's Pick".

Here is my pick, used to be a $1 each two weeks ago, now jumped to $1.53. 500LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Hunting Biking Camping AAA ZOOM Headlamp Headlight | eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/500LM-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Hunting-Biking-Camping-AAA-ZOOM-Headlamp-Headlight/132428717430?hash=item1ed55ddd76:g:-JIAAOSw9mpZ8ug2 OUTRAGEOUS gouging IMO. Not super sturdy, will break if mounted to hard-hat and dropped 6ft on to concrete. But zoom feature is excellent and perfectly ergo-metric and instinctive.

I love headlamps. Best to put on a hard-hat unless you are in really, really tight quarters. Hard-hat is more comfortable, and the hard-hat will save your skull when you stumble and fall in darkness. I've also grown fond of red-light flashlights to save night-vision.

Linked unit is typical. They have several modes, but you gotta cycle through all the other modes to land on the one you want. Plus, its easy to leave in on a lower power setting especially when used in daytime when accessing dark room or compartments, then coming back out.

I figure, if they can make one whole light for less than $1(free shipping from China included) then they can add EXTRA BUTTONS for a $1. Should have 3 power settings, and a non-flashing red option. But mostly they need the diff options to be activated by their own buttons, the location of which you will soon become 2nd nature.

IMO, a few extra $1 buttons is more than worth it for a major enhancement of personal gear.

Even the high-end lamps all seem stuck on Toggle Through Modes. Among groups of heavy users, such as construction workers at dimly lit sites, this constant toggling through up to 5 unneeded modes is constant, and worse is if you are trying to turn off and overshoot you gotta go "all the way around".

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  2. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Not a bad looking lamp. Having been caught in buckets of rain/waves I have a couple of waterproof models. I've trashed cheaper ones and just gave up on them. Here are my recommended specs:

1. Fewer moving parts (one dial/button).
    2. Must have both white & red lamps (prevents night blindness).
    3. Waterproof.

Many good nights at sea with those red lights on deck. Zillions of stars. Priceless.

3. Squidly-Diddly

Haven't found one with non-blinking red light. :(

Yeah, a dial would be the other way to go. Either variable power, or more likely just clicks for different modes and power levels, including the most import "off". Main thing is you'd be able to operate it by touch memory, and quickly.

Water-resistant gets me by for non-emergency land use. Never had an issue even in pouring rain with $1 lights. For waterproof I'd like to add Floating, either with a bit of extra closed cell padding or volume in the case.

Maybe a kwiq-connect like this for easily strapping it to any object smaller diameter than a large human head, like a mast or rear view mirror.30x Plastic Webbing Straps Clasp Side Quick Release Buckle 5/8 Inch Black N6G9 | eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/30x-Plastic-Webbing-Straps-Clasp-Side-Quick-Release-Buckle-5-8-Inch-Black-N6G9/332400579805?epid=2175698054&hash=item4d649e54dd:g:~Y4AAOSwF71Z0~3p

Another issue is they lose brightness fairly fast with normal AA or AAA batts. IIRC these rechargeable can swap into either AA or triple AAA with a sleeve. So you'd normally have full power. 2 Purple IMREN IMR 18650 High Drain Battery 3.7v 3000mAh / 40Amp Li-MN Flat Top | eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Purple-IMREN-IMR-18650-High-Drain-Battery-3-7v-3000mAh-40Amp-Li-MN-Flat-Top/111869806305?epid=1753244266&hash=item1a0bf5c6e1:g:FjAAAOSwYqxXi3Tk

I'd also like a scheme where its easy to use more than one light at the same time on the same headband. The lights would slide onto a standard 1" webbing, not have webbing attachments on either side of light housing.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

After years of using them that is probably my biggest complaint, and the button typically fails due to how many times you need to push it just to it on or off.

I have a very nice one that goes back to the prior mode unless you keep pushing the button, so it sort of works like you wanted one to. But most of the time I use the $1.00 model from Walmart, I don't care if it's waterproof or not, but so far water hasn't affected them. They're cheap enough to replace that it doesn't make much of a difference how long they last, but so far none have failed, or even had the batteries go dead.

The expensive one on high will light up objects almost 100 meters away, the cheap ones are good for walking around and close up work only.

5. Squidly-Diddly

The cheap one I linked to will be good for 100yrds in zoom.

I now see there are a few with non-blinking red only mode for about $10.

For about $17 you can get USB rechargeable, including one that uses touch free motion detector to cycle through modes. Not sure if thats a good idea, especially if you still need to cycle through 5 modes. What if you brush against stuff in close quarters, or your long hair blows around?

They got models that clip onto a strap, so more than one could be used, but they lack the tilt-angle feature. (sigh).

I also like the $1 Walmart 3AAA flashlights, mostly because they are simple on/off, and plastic housing makes holding with teeth fairly comfortable.

Can I get red-light night-vision effect with simple clear red tape, such as the tape sold for patching up rear taillights?

6. IronPrice

IronPrice Senior Member

For $1.53 I think you have quite high expectations.

If you look at higher end head lamps, then you can have single button for a low power LED or red LED.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I only use them on high.

8. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

My wife gave me a new one today, put the batteries in and played with it for a few minutes, several good features and even a dimmer function for each setting. I turned it off and set it on the table, a few minutes later it was on again, turned it off, came on by it's self again. The button doesn't work now, but it will come on after a few minutes on it's own, but you never know what setting it will be on. Pulled the batteries out and threw it away.

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Saved batteries.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.