The World is Going to End...So?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by mgriffin, Jul 13, 2009.

1. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

I hear all of this talk about the end of the world coming. Am I afraid? No. I am terrified, but all I have to say is enjoy life while you can. What's the use of worryin'? The latest news is that a so called "killshot" predicted by NASA (A.K.A. a massive solar flare that will kill aprox. 2 billion people) is upcoming. So what if I'm going to get baked like a chicken? I'm at least going to complete and launch WeeVee before all of this happens, if it does. (BTW, earth's rotation will have a rotisary effect on earth, just thought I would add a nice detail ;)) I have a differing opinion whether or not earth is coming to an end. After I figured out that we (the U.S) are going to MORE THAN LIKELY have a war with North Korea, my opinion is, yes, it will more than likely end, not completely though. Nice thought, eh? Please post your opinions on the matter.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You've obviously been reading some old reverie about the big flares in 2003 - 2004. You should check the dates on the images and articles before getting nervous. Besides, we're fairly well protected from solar flairs. Lets just hope that nothing goes nova within a few thousand light years as we're probably over due for another gamma burst, which would be much worse then a solar flare.

Don't hold your breath on N. Korea. They always bluster like this before asking for their latest hand out. It's a routine they've used for many years. They bluster, we pay, they pretend to care, then they run out of money, they bluster again and the cycle starts over. We've been paying them to shut up for many years. It's helpful to pay attention to more then just occasional headlines, to get a real grip on what's happening in the world.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I usually don't delve into the idiocy side of the forum, because most speak what they don't know or understand, but what the hell. Israel will bomb Iran (again), it's just a matter of time. They don't have a lot of options, because you know darn well, that if Iran is permitted to purchase a delivery system from Russia and continues it's enrichment program, they'll surely launch a Tel Aviv leveling assault as soon as it's ready. Being surrounded by boneheads makes them justifiably paranoid.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Middle-east is just a game of convenience for many nations, including Iran and Israel. The local regimes and the world business obviously prosper by maintaining the permanent instability in the area.

There were many occasions when peaceful compromise was within reach, but each time (by magic?) some catastrophic event (assasination, bombing, etc. with a consequent retaliation or a war) would occur which would destroy any possibility for the peace.
    Nothing makes me thing that things might change in the future.

Business, as usual.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Mike,
    the world is NOT going to end..................
    build your boat, enjoy it for a while and build your next. When your grandchildren are at the stage you are now, come here again and lets discuss the issue again.

Regards
    Richard

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

"Middle-east is just a game of convenience for many nations, including Iran and Israel. The local regimes and the world business obviously prosper by maintaining the permanent instability in the area.

There were many occasions when peaceful compromise was within reach, but each time (by magic?) some catastrophic event (assasination, bombing, etc. with a consequent retaliation or a war) would occur which would destroy any possibility for the peace.
    Nothing makes me thing that things might change in the future.

Business, as usual."
    There are many here naive enough to believe war is a money-maker, as well. Keeping us safe from Hitler, Mussolini, Akmidinajab, and Il is tremendously expensive and those that believe there is conspiracy to maintain war need to get back to their job serving espresso and stay out of it.
    By the way, Il might sting a bit but end the world? Come on.

8. daiquiri

Thanks for emphasizing Mussolini, do I have to read between the lines?

I have not invented anything new. Therms like "Permanent war economy", "Perpetual war" and "Military-Industrial Complex" have been object of research of many socioeconomicists and political analysts, people you can call anything but naive. I believe Dick Cheney too has studied the field with great dedication...

But it is all off-topic to this theme so I'll stop that discussion here.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

And gentlemen, my I remind you that the thread was started by our youngest member?

10. daiquiri

Then we can call this a political education of a young person.
    ...Which is a synonym of indoctrination, I guess. :D

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

If it was that easy mate..................:D

12. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

I know what I'm talking about PAR. The solar flares that are coming up didn't already happen. And it wasn't an article, it was the NEWS on tv. They said the ones of '03 and '04 were just precursers for the one coming up, and that this one would penetrate earth's atmosphere heating the surface of the earth up making any surface life near impossible. If NASA predicted the ones that already happened, then what makes you doubt that they can predict the "Killshot" one upcoming?
    BTW Par, A light-year or light year (symbol: ly) is a UNIT OF LENGTH, equal to just under 1013 kilometres.

13. daiquiri

Geeez, what TV news you use to watch? :confused:

Anyways, this one is pretty neat:
    http://www.universetoday.com/2008/06/21/2012-no-killer-solar-flare/

But RIGHT NOW, this is far more interesting: - Space Shuttle launch in real time (astronauts are taking their seats in the cockpit while I'm typing this one):
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

1 person likes this.
  14. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

15. daiquiri

Go to the second link and enjoy the show. ;)