HMAS Sydney

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by jehardiman, Nov 19, 2021.

1. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

That name is interesting, this sailor now identified ......
    "Thomas Welsby Clark was born in the Brisbane suburb of New Farm, Queensland on 28 January 1920; the third son of James Colin Clark and Marion Clark (née Welsby)"

I am thinking he was likely the grandson of this chap: Thomas Welsby - Wikipedia

He wrote a lot of pioneering days and boating and marine activities, wrecks etc in a most entertaining style, I read most of his books years ago, and they give an interesting insight into a past that has receded from sight.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I wondered how far off the ship was from the island and about how he died. Poor chap was on the lifeboat on the shore..

4. Mr Efficiency

Only washed up months later in that lifeboat, I dare say in an advanced state of decomposition, but I'm not aware if that aspect has ever been publicly revealed, it would be quite unlikely he was recently deceased when washed ashore.

5. Mr Efficiency

Just reading a little bit of background, it appears that he was killed in the actual action, if this newspaper report is correct. I have seem pictures of the raft, which appeared to have shrapnel damage, it appeared made of some buoyant material like cork.

"The sailor was wearing blue overalls, which rank-and-file sailors wore, and had probably been killed by a fragment from a German shell that hit his skull just above the left eye socket."

6. Mr Efficiency

An episode that should never have happened, just crazy that the captain of the Sydney put his ship in that situation, or at least the situation as described by the German survivors.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.