Mundoo III River Boat Design.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Charles Pettit, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Charles Pettit

Charles Pettit Junior Member

I would like to ask advice on a river boat design called the Mundoo III outboard 10,657 meter LOA. Has anyone built one or own one, and if there is anyone who can give me as much information about the design, build time and the suitability for cruising a very big river (Parana river in Argentina).

If by any chance someone has built one and could orientate me on what their cost has been that would be great. Maybe you could advise me on similar designs I would be very gratefull. Many thanks

2. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

hi

I cannot help you directly, but have a couple of pointers that may help

If you look at this similar boat
    http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GT27

you can order the plywood kit for about 5400 euros. So that could be an approximate figure for the similar sized Mundoo boat.

May I ask about the Parana river? Is it a smooth river, or occasionally get very rough? Being at higher latititue that the Amazon no doubt it will on occasion get stronger cooler winds.

The Murray river, for where Michael Storers boat is designed for is very flat. I have been there and it is narrow, often only 100 hards wide. My guess would be that boatplans online boat is better optimised for rougher weather, and Michael Storers boat better optimised for flat water.

The Mundoo boat with a longer narrow bow will be faster on less power that the alternative. Being flat bottomed I doubt it would be comfortable in a chop.

If you were bold you could modify the GT cruiser design and make the bow longer and finer for higher speed and better economy.

The box keel on Mundoo III, hmm, maybe it is there to get the engine down low and out of the way, thus allowing the floor to be lower, thus reducing windage overall. Maybe is also plays a part in reducing leeway of caught in a breeze. Cant say I personally like the idea, but there is a logic in it. I think an inboard deisel would be more cost effective that solar cells (solar cells would probbably take 20 years to pay for themselves)

If your boat is to be kept on the river, then possibly you have a degree of flexibilty when it comes to beam. Wider if you want it wider, though 8.5ft should be fine.

I dont know, but assume that with so much logging and so many trees in that part of teh world, timber would be cheap. Thus building a boat with timber frame and adding plywood on top of that may be a cheaper option. Even an unskilled person like me built a boat, so the boat you are looking at with simple lines and flat surfaces ought to be straighforward for many many builders to make. How much to capeneters charge in your part of the world.

Are you planning to take it downstream to the Plate esturay. Are there shallows where you wish to go. If that is an issue, the box keel of the Mundoo III may restrict some areas you wish to visit.

I will have a look around on the net for similar designs.

3. Charles Pettit

Thanks very much Peter for your reply, the Parana is a very large river that will have definiteley choppy waters on occasions. My idea is to have the boat built in the delta near Buenos Aires and motor up to were I live, about 1200 km cruising gently up stream. I would then have it as a weekend house boat during the summer months. I was not contamplating the solar panel version but yes a inboard/outboard 4 stroke 25hp or something similar. I also liked the possibility of being able to put the boat on a trailer, its a good option for me as I can have it here at home during the winter months. Our climate is sub tropical so I like the open stern deck of the Mundoo III.

I looked at the link you sent me, thanks it could be an option. Anyway any more advice or ideas would be welcome. Especially if there is a more sea worthy option available more or less in the same price range.

4. peterAustralia

Hi Charles

Based on what you have indicated you want. Economical to build and economical to operate river boat , though on occasion be able to handle slightly rough weather, and with a maximum beam of 2.5m, I did a sketch.

http://www.tacking-outrigger.com/mundoo_III_c.GIF

Now the trouble is that this is just a sketch and not real plans. I just modified Michael Storer's lines. My 2 cents is that this would better handle the rougher conditions that the original flat bottomed craft. Can I prove this, no it is just my conjecture.

I have not put the lines into hullform to see what draught could be expected, probably very little! Some more weight down low may be prudent. Perhaps go lighter when on the narrower sheltered river, and heavier in more exposed areas.

To get something like this you will have to ask Michael Storer nicely. My guess is that he would (and should) charge you more for a set of non stock plans, as he would have to do more work.

5. Charles Pettit

Peter, thanks for your sketch, the idea seems sensible. I was also looking at a design of a boat called the Leah Gent drawn by Mark Van Abbema
    V39 design. There is a photo of it sailing across a choppy bay. The problem is that from what I could gather you are looking at least U$125000.- to get it on the water... (there is a thread here with those numbers). A bit steep for me.

I will see how I get in touch with Michael Storer and maybe he can help. You would not have a e-mail address for him by any chance would you?

Anyway thanks again and have a great Easter.

6. peterAustralia

7. Charles Pettit

Excelent Peter, it is just what I am looking for, I will be in touch with Michael Storer about the plans. I have to get to Buenos Ares to speak with a builder, first of all find one. Unfortunateley I myself dont have the time to be on the job full time, so have to resoert to a builder. I will let you know how I get on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.