The use of a decision matrix to prioritize SOR items in the boat design process

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TANSL, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Gonzo might do it as a "SOP" to you !
    NOUN
    sops (plural noun)
    1. a thing of no great value given or done as a concession to appease someone whose main concerns or demands are not being met:
      :)

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Firstly @TANSL and Mr Efficiency. Please don't hijack the thread.
    Secondly, decision matrices are not constrained to any particular process. It is a tool for deciding using the scientific method. I attached an example of a simple chart to compare a proposed structure with 1, 2 or 4 legs.

Attached Files:

• BD.png
      BD.png
      File size:
      10 KB
      Views:
  4. Mr Efficiency

I am loosely familiar with the general idea, but I'd like to see one illustrated, that is specific to boat design. Someone trumpeting the idea may have one to "show and tell". I would just like to better understand the advantage of it.

5. Mr Efficiency

The problem with all such things, of course, is the weightage and ratings applied, which when you start multiplying together, small variations in both, can give a rather different result. Accurate allotment of values becomes crucial.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

An example relating to a boat, would be very illustrative and would give us an idea of the potentiality of the method.
    Mr. Moderator, I think this response is not offensive, so I hope you do not delete it. Thank you.

7. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Thank you Tansl. Your previous post in the thread was reported as being rude so was removed. Sometimes the way you phrase things combined with the frequency you direct posts towards one or two other members over and over creates unnecessary friction. Thanks for your understanding and your help to keep threads more productive.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Do you really think that asking for an example of a certain novel (for me at least) method is "hijack the thread"?. Why was my post rude, because I was telling the truth with some sarcasm?
    Is not this rude or offensive ?: I do not think so, because this character has no height to offend me, but I'm sure he meant to offend me.

<removed this comment as well now in order to try and keep the thread away from further jabs.>

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The value of a matrix is that the discussion narrows to the value of a particular element. For example, cost can be 80% of the total value for someone in a tight budget, or 2% for someone with a huge budget. Every element of the design can be evaluated as a unit and then integrated into the whole. It also offers the flexibility of changing the weights dynamically. A change in regulations or the economy may force a change in the weight of an item. I think you should not look at it as a problem, but as a valuable tool to limit the scope of a decision.

10. Mr Efficiency

I get the feeling it is so arbitrary and subjective , as to the parameters chosen, the weightage and ratings given, as to be of dubious value. I constructed one in a few minutes, but of what usefulness ?

Attached Files:

11. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

It is probably a translation issue, but the way you phrased your reply seemed extremely insincere, and thus the post would have acted more to get under another member's skin and cause irritation rather than adding value to the thread.

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Very interesting but, how do you apply that to the design of a boat?

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Then clearly you don't design the way the rest of us do...see my previous post.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is the value of the matrix. It separates the arbitrary and subjective values. Therefore, you don't discuss whether a design is better or worse, but whether a particular item is better or worse. It makes comparisons possible, as the arbitrary preferences are clear and not muddled as part of a whole design. In other words, if you, for example, hate white boats that color would have a low value. If, on the other hand, you like double enders, that would have a high value. It makes people define their preferences.

15. Mr Efficiency

End users have a habit of changing their minds about what is important, with experience. The idea that a designer would play along with a customer who has a skewed idea of what matters, seems absurd. The experience of the designer should trump notions that won't survive where "the rubber meets the road". So who decides the parameters to be rated, and the weightage ? I rather prefer the idea of a designer who declines a job, because they think the customer is being unrealistic, than one that always manages to come up with a design, or says he can.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.