Sailboat Seakeeping Experiments-VPP

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by papadon, Nov 26, 2012.

1. papadon

papadon New Member

Hi, i am finishing my Master's thesis measuring added resistance and side force on a BOC 50 (1/4 scale) sailboat model in specific wave spectrums and would like to compare the results with the ones of a VPP program.
    I would like to know (if anyone has done something similar) if it is best to do the comparison between the results(test tank-VPP) on model scale, or 1/1 scale.
    Thanks, John.

2. Mikko Brummer

Mikko Brummer Senior Member

I don't think a VPP would do a good job on your model sized boat's resistance, so you would be better off converting the model tests to full size, and then compare to the VPP.

3. papadon

papadon New Member

That is also my conclusion. The VPP i am using is not giving good results on 1/4 scale, so i will convert the test tank results to full scale and compare.
    Many thanks, John.