the ultimate cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Aug 7, 2011.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i have been looking at the tad roberts pl 46 on tads website. it is a very impressive looking boat and fast with small engines. has anyone on the forum built one. i would love to see some pics of the completed boat.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

thanks for the link tad, it is a nice looking boat. can you change it to single engine or does it upset the interior layout to much. you mentioned swinging a 27" prop with a single but increasing the draft a fair bit. i like single installations , easier to maintain and cheaper. this is as close to my dream boat as i have ever seen.

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

As the boats are semi-custom, you can do almost anything:D

There are a few options for single power arrangements.

1) Single engine with direct mounted vee-drive in the standard aft engine room. Larger central tunnel/prop pocket and highest shaft angle.

2) Single engine in the aft engine room with remote-mounted vee-drive forward of the ER bulkhead. Lower shaft angle but machinery in the saloon.

3) Single engine with direct shaft line mounted just aft of the pilothouse. Arrangement similar to the PL39 with head and standup engineroom on port side and galley on starboard. Engine weight is low in the boat so the engine call be as big as you like (gardner, cat, etc.). Shaft line is low and parallel to waterline. You now have a huge lazzerett, dinghy garage, or aft cabin in the stern. But you now live around the machinery......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.