The Turn Over!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ucb4ume, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Mounted the motor

I got the motor bolted to the transom weekend before last and put three coats of epoxy on the deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The topsides have been sanded...AGAIN! and are ready for another coat of epoxy. This should be the last coat of epoxy before the varnish goes on.

[​IMG]

2. masalai

masalai masalai

That is one fantastic build.... Well done - please get your wife/kids to mow the lawn before the next series of pictures, man spoils the whole presentation.... :D:D:D:D:D:D (not allowed to give any more points yet?)

3. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Ok! Ok! I'll have someone mow the grass.:rolleyes: I also need someone to paint the backboard on the basketball goal and paint the house and clean out the gutters and weed the front flower bed and trim the hedges and take the trash out and rotate the tires and change the break pads and...and...and...and:mad:

IT'S ALL GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE BOAT IS FINISHED!!!!:D

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Hey, NOT YOU, - - - - get one (or several) of the local admirers of your boat by saying something like , , , , , "Hey buddy, whilst you are looking, would you like to pull some weeds/mow the lawn....." sort of thing - - - think of, - - what is that story, - of a young lad who had to whitewash a fence and got all the neighbourhood kids to do it for him and pay for the privilege? - - - that sort of idea....

5. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

I retired in May and have about 1000 honey does before I can
    start on the boat, I cheat whenever possible! I have all the
    biggies done! Two more gates to fix, clean behind the fence!
    Clean out the garage! Take down all the damn gutters!
    Move the outhouse!

When I get ready to do my deck, I know who to invite for
    bar-b-que! How thigh is the deck?

That is beautiful enough to make a man give up ****!

Job well done, and thanks for sharing, you have set the
    bar very high!

6. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Got my HIN today!

I got the Hull Identification Number and registration numbers for my boat today. It was easy!

In the state of Louisiana, you have to fill out a boat registration form and an inspection request form, which must be notarized. Then mail it to the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries with a check. In my case, it cost $63 for the registration and inspection plus $20 for the Notary.

They send you a letter back with a file number and a phone number which you call to arrange for the inspection. I called yesterday to arrange for the inspection and had the inspection done today at my house (very convenient). I had to show the DWF Agent all my receipts for the materials used to build the boat for two reasons.

1. They want to make sure you actually built the boat are not trying to get a new HIN for a stolen boat.

2. They want to make sure that you paid sales tax on all the materials. Luckily, I had purchased all of my lumber and most of the other materials locally. So I did have proof of sales tax.

I wonder what would happen if you bought all your lumber from out of state with no sales tax?
    Has anyone experienced what they do in that case?

Anyway, the DWF Agent put an ugly silver metallic sticker (2"X3") with the HIN on my transom and also wrote the HIN in a secret place with a permanent marker. He also took pictures of the boat for reference in case it is ever stolen.

The entire process took 12 days and cost $83. It will take another 30 days to get the title in the mail.

I'm now legal.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

CONGRATULATIONS, A mighty fine boat by a mighty good builder..... Well done and well deserved.....

8. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

She Floats!

Well, I'm definitely not finished yet, but everything is functional so I decided to put her in the water today to see if she floats. It's not the official launch, so I didn't have anyone with me to take pictures, but I did manage to snap a few shots myself.

I still have to install the windshield, build the rear bench seat, put in various pieces of trim and install items like instruments, GPS and Stereo.

Performance was about what I expected. She planed off quickly and was very stable at all speeds. She would come on plan between 15 and 20 MPH and wanted to cruise at about 27MPH. Top speed for today was 42MPH (according to my hand held GPS), and was very stable at that speed, no chine walk or porpoising. Steering was a little heavy at first, but when I trimmed the engine up at speed, it was much more manageable. I'm using a Teleflex, non-hydraulic, rack and pinion steering system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. masalai

masalai masalai

Absolutely beautiful work, Congrats.....

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

---You'al done good---

12. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

I put the windshield on this week, but still have some trim work to do and need to install the bench seat in the back.

We put the boat in the water again today and took some video which I have uploaded to YouTube. My wife took the video, so don't be too critical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Very elegant work, congratulations....

14. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

more video

The video is a little shaky, but just wanted to share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.