The Turn Over!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ucb4ume, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

I finally gave up the search for a used trailer that would fit my boat and purchased a new trailer yesterday. I spent a few hours last night adjusting the bunks and lured a few friends over with free beer.

Today is the day to turn the boat over!

Here's the trailer; $1500

[​IMG]

I built a cheap and simple jig to help with the roll.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved the boat, still on the building jig, close the soft grass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we lifted and rolled it on to cushions that were placed on the grass for extra protection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then backed the trailer up to the bow and 6 of us simply lifted the hull and walked it forward onto the trailer

[​IMG]

She looks like a totally different boat when she's right side up!
    I love the lines shown in these two pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

Beautiful! nice work.

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The turn over

WOW WOW WOW:D :D :D

IT IS BEAUTIFULL:D :D :D

Which plans did you use?

Good luck and enjoy. That was the fun part of building. Now comes the part when the sweat pours of you - your arms want to fall off - your back aches for days and your children walk past and say = still looks the same to me = no change = what are you doing?:p :p :p

4. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Good basic design for your "turnover jig". The proof is that it's on the trailer and no damage 'cause it's a drop dead gorgeous boat! :D

5. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

"Cheap and simple"

In my book that right there make you a genious. Nice work, nice boat, and Im envious.

:)

K9

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Wow is right. A beautiful boat!

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Looks really nice so far.

Just one thing on your trailer though. If I was you I'd take it back to the guy who made it and have him put a flat bar strip from the front of the whish bone to half way between the axle and the rear of the trailer. The flat bar should stand on it's side on top of the frame on the outside. 5mm x 40mm

Your boat is still relative light, but when the rest plus a motor gets throwed in the trailer's frame is going to work hard, especially during launches where the weight could bend the frame down towards the rear, and and metal fetique will crack the trailer frame off around the centre of the axle mount.

The rest looks ok. I'm a rub-axle fan too. If the boat can be lowered on the trailer then do it. It lowers the centre of gravity (better roadholding) and makes a big big difference when launching. Worth the effort ;)

8. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

what's the 5x40 mm equate to? You guys should really convert to the standard measuring system LOL..... I'm guessing .25x2 inches

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Oh boy I'm so out of touch with those old measurements :D We work with accurate stuff here...

5mm = 0.2inches x 40mm = about 1.6 inches if my venier did it right. If you're looking for stuff like 'one and seven eighteenth' or those funny things I can't help you there :D

Ok, here's the next thing. You may have to shift the axle a bit when the boat's done. You want about 30kg on the tow bar, so plan weight distribution on the boat.

Are you really going to ask me how many pounds is 30kg ? I checked, the bathroom scale cannot convert :D

10. kayakn

kayakn Junior Member

i do not mean to change the subject but i was wondering what kind of a coating that is on the bottom of the boat

thanks, kayakn

11. johnnyv

johnnyv Junior Member

2.2 pounds per kg.
    If you wanna do conversions no brain is required only google.
    "5mm in inches" as a search term without the quotes for instance.
    Even does calculations and conversions within calculations.
    Most handy when converting weird imperial into usefull metric :p

Great looking Hull!

12. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Kaykan,

The bottom of the hull, black part, is painted with a mixture of epoxy and graphite. Everything else that you see is just clear epoxy(WEST). The topsides and deck will have several coats of clear epoxy and several coats of varnish for UV protection.

As for the trailer, it's rated for 2000 pounds. I figure the finished hull will weigh between 600 and 700 pounds. Add 350 pounds for the motor, 120 pounds for 20 gallons of fuel, 50 pounds for a battery and another 200 pounds for anchor, life jackets, ice chest, etc. She should come in under 1500 pounds wet. Everything on the trailer is adjustable, even the axle. When she's finished, I'll get everything adjusted just right with about 100 pounds of tongue weight.

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Looks like you've got it licked ;)

14. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Hey Manie B,

Sorry for the late reply. You asked about the plans that I used to build this boat. Well, I don't really have a set of plans. I am building from a magazine article and a table of offsets. The magazine is called "10 Boats You Can Build" and was sent to me when I subscribed to another magazine called "Boat Builder". The article gives quite a bit of instruction and a few drawings, but leaves a lot of the detail up to the builder. I would have never attempted this boat if I had not already built two other boats. Below, you can see the first page of the article. I'm reluctant to post the entire article as that may infringe on copy right laws.

[​IMG]

15. ucb4ume

ucb4ume Junior Member

Deck Framing complete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.