The super crazy cool mini long tail build!!!!

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Wolfgang123, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Wolfgang123

Wolfgang123 Junior Member

ok guys i think we can scrap this thread i found this: http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=66371

and thats what i am going to do. should weight alot less and handle better. i have almost everything figured out but i think its going to be one of those things were i just have to jump in and see what happens.

2. Wolfgang123

hey guys so one last questions figured it wasnt worth opening a new thread for soo...i am goign to make a foam layout boat and i was wondering what kind of epoxy rensin and hardenering agent i need???i plans i bought dont really say what i need and there are a varity of things from 90z to 60z fiberglass cloth all kinds of hardener and resin????help...

Thanks
    Wolfgang

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Try your local marine supply house. Lots to choose from. Talk to the sales people.

4. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Don't listen to the naysayers

First of all, John O'Neal will tell you that the 49 cc motor with a clutch worked very well. I built the exact same weed eater motor and it pushed my 60 pound boat and my fat but 6.2 mph. I used it for a season of duck hunting and it did all I wanted it to do. I went upstream, downstream across lakes you name it and it worked great. I would not use it as a true mud motor - it just doesn't have the power. It goes through weeds but mud no way.

John did build a motor with the 5:1 reducer shown in the thread where you were looking to purchase a motor. He put a huge prop on it thinking the reducer would allow him to spin it. It worked but I think you will find that going with the stock 49cc motor and no reducer worked better.

You are not going to be happy with a 6.5 hp motor on the back of your canoe - no way. Too heavy and it will make the canoe very unstable. Hope you aren't going to be putting family or friends in it with you.

I also had an opportunity to purchase a used Rickshaw Mud motor for less than retail. It is a 4 stroke Honda with about 1.2 hp and uses a 3.1:1 gear redcution system. The little Honda motor (GX35) with the reducer is more than enough power to push a canoe or the boat I use it with. These boats will only reach hull speed (about 5-6 mph) with either a 2 hp or 5 hp and it will take more hp to get the canoe up on plane if that is what you are looking to do. Once again, a canoe on plane is not a bright thing to do.

Take the advice of an earlier post and read the whole 55 pages of how to build one of these . You will learn boatloads from this thread and peopel there are willing to help.

Mark

5. Wolfgang123

thanks for the advise but i have gone a totaly different direction. i plan to make a wooden 14 foot jon boat and add a 13hp surface drive to the back (home made of course :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.