The super crazy cool mini long tail build!!!!

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Wolfgang123, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Wolfgang123

Wolfgang123 Junior Member

so i have decided that i am going to do 1 of 2 things to power my new raft...

1. weedwacker with a prop, like this:

http://www.terryking.us/boating/RippedOffWeedwhacker.pdf

2. or i am going to use this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item335a084bb1

with the transmission and electric start. so my questions are:

1. which method would you choose and why?
    2. which setup would provide for power? ( i think the second one but just want to double check)
    3. if i go with option 2 should i look for a transsmission with a 3:1 ratio or 5:1?
    4. what size prop should i use with the 2nd option
    5. how the hell do i go about adding th tail and the prop to the second option? i tried skimming thoough the weedeater thread (54 pages and not alot of answers) and could not figure out what to do as far as the shaft coming out of the trans. and how to mount the prop.

thank you in advance and if i can figure this out i will be sure to write up a nice How-to/Build thread.

Skyler Nikolas

2. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

To pick a suitable motor you need to know much more about the proposed boat.

For a mental exercise to help make a choice imagine what the correct storebought outboard might be, then brainstorm your equivilent, then refine details.

Search surface drives for some insight on how to graft together your frankenmotor. There's lots of fodder for ideas on the site here to help you invent this thing. Dig around.

3. Wolfgang123

i understand what your saying. with that in mind i think i am going to go with the second version, so what i need know now is how do i make it? i understand the transimmison and the motor parts, but how do i attach the driveshaft to the transimmisson and how do i attach the drive tube to the transmission?

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. Wolfgang123

thats cool but not what i am looking for. too heavy

6. Wolfgang123

http://www.kansashunter.org/sites/default/files/Mini Longtail Plans 2.0.pdf

i feel dumb just found that.

so my only questions now are as follows:

1. How do i mate the drive tube and drive shaft to the scooter transmission?
    2. If i were to make one without the transmission (with the honda parts that ender posted) would the drive tube and drive shaft just clamp in to the honda parts?

7. wac m trac m

wac m trac m Junior Member

Guess you diidnt read all of the looong weed eater forum. We all built moters like the first option. I used mine on a 10ft Stealth 2000 but most guys used them on lighter layout boats. We all agreed they were to weak. Even John Oneal who came up with the best ones. He had the carbs reworked and he still wanted more power.

Towards the end of the long thread some guys from Tailand has a nice set up that he's selling. It's all put together and just bolts on. I tried to buy one but he never responded to my calls.

If you really want to build one. Read everything you can get your hands on. Then fill the gaps with creativity..thats how it's done.

8. Wolfgang123

i basically got the jist of that yes. but i am going to be putting this on a little canoe and and some friends use to get to and island to go camping. so i dont need much.

9. Wolfgang123

the problem is the canoe is not suppose to use more than a trolling motor due to weight. so i thought this would be th next best thing. (i hate trolling motors)

10. muddin redneck

muddin redneck DO IT IN THE MUD!!!

john o neal is the guy that built the one with the gear reducer try to pm him with your questions im sure he will be glad to help you with the conversion

11. fishon91

fishon91 Junior Member

look in the surface drive section. theres a guy that built a longtail with gears, you could substitute the gears for your CVT. you have a very good idea. and you definitely need to put it on something more stable than a canoe cause it'll be faster than you think.

go ahead and go big, buy a 15' godevilo skiff, build your motor, and maybe even push through mud flats:p

12. fishon91

fishon91 Junior Member

oh mcmaster carr has you covered with bearings, seals, etc... great company

13. Wolfgang123

ok so considering i already have a 6.5hp race motor (honda clone) laying around i figured i will just go ahead and build the larger version. so so so, my crap boat wont be able to handle this motor so my question is, i see all these foam layout boats your guys have, is there a DIY on those i can look at?

14. Wolfgang123

also what do you guys think would be better. the u-joint with no clutch. or the clutch to a sprocket setup? which would give me more speed.

15. muddin redneck

muddin redneck DO IT IN THE MUD!!!

if you use a 4-stroke engine (oil in crankcase not mixed with fuel) then you have to be careful on how much angle your engine will be sitting at while it is running about 15 degrees is all you can have and still operate it without damage to the engine. if you dont use a ujoint you will have to make the shaft longer than you would if you used a ujoint bc of engine tilt. look under lifan thai longtail in this forum pistn broke built one just like your talking about. i would go with the gear reduction built leave out the clutch granted you have a neutral but you get a wider range of speed if you dont use one (idle to wide open). just my 2cents. good luck with your build.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.