The successful designer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by duluthboats, Mar 27, 2003.

1. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

As this forum grows in size the number of posts from young people interested in yacht design also grows. :) What would you expect from a boat design forum? As I read these posts I keep remembering something else I had read. Until yesterday I couldn’t find it. These words are almost a century old but I think they still apply today.

Requisites Of Successful Designer

“It must not be inferred that science is not an important aid in designing any kind of a yacht, for it is first in the requisites for consistent success, but with it must be blended natural genius, imagination and much practical experience in handling and building boats. It is the combination of these qualifications that enables a designer to do good work. It is not enough to be fond of boats and full of inspiration --- such is distinctly the amateur; it is not enough to have had years experience at sea and in the boat shop --- some ridiculous models are produce by old sailors who keenly appreciate a good boat but cannot produce one; it is not enough to know all about resistance, displacement, stability, ect. --- for the purely scientific designer may blunder on many practical considerations.”

From, Elements of Yacht Design, by Norman L Skene

“--- such is distinctly the amateur.” I resemble that remark.

Gary :D

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

"“--- such is distinctly the amateur.” I resemble that remark." says duluthboats
    Well, going back to the root meaning of the word "amateur" (a lover of), I should hope we are all that way inclined here.
    I know I am, or else why would I have taken up such a lousily-paid profession ;-)

3. trouty

trouty Guest

IMHO these days - it takes a combination of talents - a team of talented individuals to create a great boat.

You do need all the elements of experience on the water - scientific discipline, skilled building and so on to come up with a really top class boat.

I'm no naval architect - I can tell you, but i do have some pactical experience on the water and a little exposure to boat building and lots of timber working experience as well.

Is it surprising then, that a naval architect gets my input while designing a new boat about things that MUST be included within a boat layout to suit the serious everyday user, aspects of ride and handling and so on and so forth.

If a Naval Architect spends all his time behind a desk and computer screen designing boats - he doesn't get the amount of time someone like me whos a fishing guide gets behind the helm.

It only makes sense to collaborate on boat design....AND to review the product afterward. I actually had the Naval Architect who designed my hull come back a few years later to "see first hand" what I had done as far as layout, consoles, seating, storeage, equipment mounting, etc etc.

I think he learned a LOT (as did I about hulls) for having his company for a day.

We even discussed what things I'd have done differently given the same task again after having had to live and work with my attempts to fit the vessel out myself.

All of the idea's and improvements were noted down - for inclusion in the new 17 fter shallow draft tunnel hull flats fly fishing vessel he will now design for himself firstly.

He and I will likely fish it 12 months and make alterations etc until we feel it's as good as we can make it.

It's not unless you live with a boat for a good year or three you think about things you'd have done different next time.

It's no good having all the designs and all the ideas if they "arent practical" to build and thats where a good shipwright/boatbuilder type comes into the equation.

Lastly - these 3 people must be able to work together, understand each other, communicate idea's to each other to make it work.

Thats how I see it.

Now - if I could just make a quid out of it!

Cheers!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.