Advice needed on sailing rig

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by GKolln, Aug 28, 2009.

1. GKolln

GKolln Gerhard

I am considering building a Pat Bray design (www.brayyachtdesign.bc.ca) named Freestyle 27. It is intended to be a fast sailer/powerboat. The rig is unusual: a fold-down bi-pole mast stepped well aft and canted forward, with fore- and backstays. The rig features a single jib that accounts for the entire sail area (and eventually an additional staysail), there is no main sail. Does anyone have experience with this type of rig who could tell me the pros and cons?

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Tough keeping the luff tight enough without really stressing the hull.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Tremendous tension on backstay, but anything can be engineered. It's a simple rig in practice. The sail can reef and furl with reasonable efficiency, though roller reefing follows the luff perpendicular so the CE doesn't lower as with a mains'l. At least that is how I've seen the rig set up.
    Actualy, reefing points and hanks (maybe two-three sets) on the jib would be far superior. The CE stays low and the leading edge is always clean.
    More work, but more efficient.
    The main thing is that huge tension. Sag is inevitable. I think that's the main reason the rig's never caught on. .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.