The roll acceleration: What´s the best for crossing oceans?

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Antonio Alcalá, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Fanie,

Living in South Africa as you do, you're about as far away as it's possible to get from Scotland, so here is Stones website.

http://www.stonesgingerwine.com/welcome.php

The Special Reserve I buy is 17% by volume and is a lovely winter warmer. Add some Scotch and you have the infamous leg opener, known as the Whisky Mac.

Remember I was asking what this could be.

"drinking any substance that is likely to temporarily diminish their senses of sight and touch"

That's not a ginger bickie. :D

Pericles

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Pericles, I intend to keep my distance... your weather suck :D

We in SA don't drink that weak stuff. We have stuff here that runs by the name of 'Mampoer'. It's up to 97% volume and opens all kinds of things not just legs :rolleyes: You don't add anything to it, it's nice just as it is.

Couple a sods of these you could cross oceans...

3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I've never seen or heard anyone to get Mal-de-mer while steering the boat. Same with motion sickness in a car driving country roads..
    So keeping one's eyes on the way ahead gives the same information to brains as ears with the balance and motion..
    Other possibility is to exclude visual reference totally and hit the sack..
    No studies just some observations..

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

You can have relatively benign sea states where some crew will function well and some will be vomiting but functional. However when the sea gets more excited then motion induced fatigue is more significant which will effect everyone aboard.

On a passage most of us take around 10 hrs after departure in a seaway before the nausea goes away, but nausea and incapacitation can be quite different. You can be purging your stomach and still be close to 100% functional. O the other hand people can appear well enough (not vomiting) but take considerably longer to acheive simple tasks and also suffer a considerable drop in mental and physical capacity. This is more the concern for the experienced mariner crossing oceans in a small boat. We can consider the related mental incapacitiation to be a serious problem particulalrly in heavy weather. You can manage the nausea to some extent but not the incapacity, and people confuse the two.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi MikeJohns,

Is sea sickness a temporary condition that goes away ie you get used to the conditions and not get sea sick any more or is it an idividual problem that will happen to the individual every time under the same conditions ?

7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

you will experience the same levels of nausea-discomfort and or incapacity each time you set out or experience heavy weather.

However psychological factors do change over time as you gain confidence in the vessel and the fear factor reduces.

Your brain learns to anticipate the motion and that takes from anything from a few hours to a few days (depending on the individual). This transition period occurs every time you set foot on the vessel after a period off it.

Interestingly, changing vessels or getting back on land can then be equally disorienting often for around the same period.

8. Antonio Alcalá

Antonio Alcalá Ocean Yachtmaster

I´m back.

9. Nigel1

Nigel1 Junior Member

My Dad who like me was-is in the merchant navy was seasick after every port call. Apparently his reccommended cure was to thread a cube of pork onto a length of string, swallow it, pull it back up with the string and repeat. What this achieved I have no idea.
    I first went to sea at about 16yrs old, was seasick the first trip, and never suffered since, be it on my ship (anchor handling tug), or my 28 feet floating caravan with sails

best regards
    Nigel

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  10. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Welcome back, Antonio and...Feliz Año!
    have you been sailing?

11. Antonio Alcalá

Hello friend!!! Happy new year!!! and best wishes for this !

Yes i´ve been sailing but not offshore and not in my sailboat. Please Guillermo i´m very interested in your response about my last post ( First 50 & X-50)

Un abrazo

Best winds

12. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Attached here is an interesting paper to this thread's purposes.

Cheers

Attached Files:

13. Antonio Alcalá

Hi Guillermo!!!! I´m gonna take a look in a moment. Sure it´ll be fine

14. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Roll acceleration is not an issue if the boat is heeled enough by the wind pressure against the rig and the superstructure. The real differences comes how well a boat can maintain that steady heeling in different circumstances. In this most of the modern sailboats do fail due their wide beam which naturally resist these "upstream" heeling forces too much and instead live with the "downstream" ie waves:mad:

15. Patrick BLOSSE

Patrick BLOSSE La Terre entière.

Antonio,

Will you be so kind to confirm the formula
    MCR = Disp / (2/3*((7/10 * LWL)+(1/3 *LOA))*Beam4/3 )
    as follows:
    does "Beam4/3" mean "Beam^4/3" or "Beam*4/3";
    meaning respectively, if no mistake, a MCR dimension in ft^2/3 or ft ?

Even if easy, I did not test it through your comprehensive listing (lack of data immediately available) and simply would like to test my own boat's relative position regarding MCR by your return thread.

Thank you in advance.

Fair winds to all.

Patrick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.