The Raid Boat

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by duluthboats, May 24, 2006.

1. sailing canoe

sailing canoe Junior Member

Just a bump to see if there is more life in this one. My preference is just above. Funny how these threds just fade away

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well, these threads fade away when all is said and done, methinks. Or when all the nerds have said their peace (yes, I have posted in this thread too).
    Honestly, though, it seems that this sort of boat doesn't have one answer, but numerous, depending on taste and preferences, so that might be one of the reasons this one isn't drawing too much attention.

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Nice lines on her, Gary!

5. sailing canoe

Conjure

Yes I have to admit to liking that boat. Its hard to imagine a lighter Boat. I wonder if its possible to contact the owner builder to get some build info. Maybe Tad Roberts could forward a message. As I recollect he was virtually competative with a dedicated double, but I had'nt realized that he had won this year. If you want I can look up a web site by a couple of engineers on their problem solving while building a Explorer canoe. Sliding seat is definatly the way to go for that event. I sort of envy you going out to learn to sail. I grew up on the water, but you have a great adventure ahead of you. Nick the..

6. duluthboats

[​IMG]

Another shot. I'm trying to find my pics from the Wooden Boat Show at PT. I must have some more detail shots.

SC I also grew up on the water using push poles, oars, and paddles ;-)

Gary

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Hi Gary, I'm sorry I missed meeting you in PT.

I would be happy to forward questions on Conjure to Dan.

I think the boat's lines came from an Adirondack Guide boat, but Dan stretched it out to around 19'6". The beam is reported at 3'8", weight was reported as 160 pounds in '06. For 07 he lightened her a bunch by removing the ply deck and supposedly self-draining cockpit liner which did not work. So final bare boat may be less than 100 pounds. Sail area is 80 sq. ft. Sailing is the boat's real weak point, not enough sail area nor enough stability to do well.

In 07 I finally figured out I could equalize the advantage of the sliding seats with more sailing only legs. Of course this new ruling will spur a new arms race. Also in 08 the Shipyard Raid will have a completely new course and date, thus very different conditions.

There is a fairly good article on building and using this type of boat in WoodenBoat # 191. Author is Brian Schulz of Cape Falcon Kayak.

Tad

8. duluthboats

Thanks Tad,
    I was guessing the lines came from The St Lawrence Skiff, which is a longer double ended Guide boat, either way they both are way too tender for me to learn to sail in. I do like the idea of SOF for light weight and quick build.
    Gary

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

You may be correct on Conjure's roots Gary, I seem to confuse the details these days. Too many boats.....

10. sailing canoe

Learning to sail

Well tender it sure would be, but for me one of the great things about water sports is that its one of the only sports where the crash and burn is just plain fun ! Can you think of another one? Mind you I'm not talking of sailing at high latitudes with the main sail tied off at the head of the mast - full spinnaker and wiping out repeatedly, in the dark with only the ice burgs for company. I'm sure its a rush but I'll pass. May be if I were good enough to be invited it would not seem so outrageous but I will never Know. Certainly if the waters cold wear a wet suit. For me ; a self draining cockpit is essential - so the crash and burn have an easy recovery.Is there a flotation component to the raid rules? The picture of Conjure looks like an empty boat. Where is all the gear? I wonder what the self draining cockpit liner looked like and how it was suposed ( conceptionally) to work? Great sheer though - almost too much in this angle. Nick

11. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Skiing? :)

12. sailing canoe

skiiing ?

would that be frozen or liquid water? assuming frozen, I agree its great but the "launch fee " is $60-$90 plus a 3 hour drive with a crowd of polluting lemming like skiers. Sort of dulls my enthusiasm. Plus people break bones. I never heard of anyone breaking anything capsizing a boat! I'm sure with talent it could be done ,BUT.. That asside, if snow was close I would be a ski bum for sure.

13. sailing canoe

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  14. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

This is another picture of Conjure with her original cockpit. The self-bailing did not work because the cockpit was too deep when the boat was fully loaded. The design was very much trial and error. Dan also took far more gear the first year, 06.

P4060060.JPG

15. sailing canoe

Conjour

That is indeed a problem. I assume it was supposed to drain through the center board slot or is there a plank keel? I can not imagine draining through the fabric. Less Gear? I thought that there was an extensive list of required gear. But I note, no spare oar in the excellent picture you attached - thank you for that. I should imagine that taking all that interior out, besides being discouraging, took some stiffness out of the boat too. was this a problem sailing?
    Above I asked I there is a flotation requirement for raid boats? Tad are you available for Q&A on raid boats here?

Many thanks Nick