The Raid Boat, Poll 1

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by duluthboats, May 30, 2006.

?

Design type?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2006.
  1. An all out thoroughbred raid specific boat.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. A recreational boat that would show well in a raid.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

I may be falling into the trap of expecting too much from one design. The gear requirements are more for life after the raid. There are some that would build a boat just for a raid but most I think would prefer a boat that could be used for raids and serve as a recreational boat the rest of the year.
    So the first poll is which do we want to design? An all out thoroughbred raid specific boat, or recreational boat that would show well in a raid?

Gary :D

2. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

Gary, try this little jewel on for size.

Actually JW has talked about setting this up as a boat to take on this Florida craziness! I think he mentioned a bit longer so two can row and some sort of a spray dodger so one can rest in the dry while one sails.

Dunno, as this isn't my cup-o-tea, but give him a shout via email for particulars on this idea. Oh, and there has been a considerable amount of discussion on raids and boats over the last week here.

Best,

Leo

Attached Files:

• 33b6.jpg
      33b6.jpg
      File size:
      26.9 KB
      Views:
  3. duluthboats

I’m a little disappointed in the response to the poll, not the results but the few numbers of votes. I’m sure more will join as the design develops. On a real positive note, I have a new small boat research library, actually it is the same one I have had for a long time. But now I’m looking at the sail boats with more than just a glance. I have a lot of small boat stuff (BDQ, all of them, WoodenBoat, all of them, most of the WoodenBoat book catalog) but I am now looking at sail boats, which are the meat of this collection and I had paid little attention to them before

If you have an opinion on this poll please vote. If you have voted maybe you would like to justify your vote. ;)

4. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

sorry still dont understand a raid boat......:) we do alot of fishing ..... I would prefer the through bred design for the raid

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

You got me confused duluth, what the **** is a 'raid' boat?

Was kinda expecting something full of armed commandoes, all tuckered down and doing something like 30 knots into a beach full of hairy ar** baddies, kicking ten bells of sh*t outa each other and leaving pretty damn quick with either a lot of sore heads behind or a bit of their gear that they badly need! Well that's my idea of a 'raid'?:D :D

so I certainly wouldn't use a sailing dinghy!!!!!!

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I certainly wouldn't want a "thoroughbred", but on the other hand, what is to stop a thoroughbred from being used year round? I seem to recall reading that you're allowed to sleep onboard and so on, and if I were to use it year round (well, outside of raidland), I would want to be able to sleep two in it (heck, you can do that in a wayfarer).

Stylewise, I'm thinking that a nice, low rig would be best, since that way you could make it narrower. Perhaps even a removable bowsprit. (horisontal rig, so to speak).

I can't draw anything up, but sort of like a mix between those costguard dories, but with a rig (and of course without the holes).

Come to think of it, I just described a whaler, didn't I?

7. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

A Raider

Hello..

Attached Files:

8. duluthboats

The thoroughbred won by a stem. We need to remember this is not just a sailboat or just a rowboat but will have to perform well in both modes.

9. duluthboats

To my eye it would seem something along the lines of a Wayfarer is a good starting point.

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

But a nicer hull shape, right?