Plans for aluminum layout boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by camobob, Oct 18, 2010.

1. camobob

camobob New Member

I'm thinking about building an aluminum layout boat - have seen plans for wood/glass but nothing in AL. I like the light weight and durability but I'm hesitant to work off wood boat plans (http://www.marsh-monster.com/boatbuilding.htm)
    Anybody have any plans or suggestion?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...personally, never heard of a layout boat before, but understand now that I have looked at the web site.

...there is absolutely no reason not to build in alloy, it is a simple boat construction and light weight, alloy would be a good material, but it will be cold in the winter of course.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Alloy will be noisier, with even ripples causing audible sounds, which might not suit your application.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

We call these types of boats duck boats. I'd agree the idea of a duck boat or blind is to remain relatively out of sight, out of mind for whatever you are hunting. Aluminum wouldn't lend itself well to this task, even though it would be a good material for construction.

5. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Why Aluminum?

That design looks like it would be prefect for glass, though I would consider putting some foam around the perimeter for buoyancy in case you get swamped, which with an open cockpit and a freeboard measured in inches seems likely. I would also consider a spray skirt for actually using it.

6. camobob

camobob New Member

Why AL?
    For one, that's what I know - I've toyed with glass ever so briefly and it isn't my talent.
    Also, AL is light, strong, repairable and readily available. Cold and noise are trade off's to ease of construction and weight. I'm hearing that this is not a smart project, better to figure it out now than later.

7. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Not saying it's a bad idea, just making sure you understand the trade-offs. If you're comfortable working in aluminum then that's a strong argument for using it.

If the noise and cold aren't issues, then it should work. I know a lot of duck boats are made in aluminum, though to a more conventional shape.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.