The perfect Passagemaker? II (building material)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Aug 22, 2010.

?

Which material is your choice to build one of the shown boats?

1. Steel

50.8%
  2. Aluminium

27.7%
  3. Classical wooden built

4.6%
  4. Wood Epoxy

9.2%
  5. Fiber / resin composite

7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was, and is my point. Electrolysis in a marina.

To answer Angélique´s question.

Too many halfbaked tinker with electricity, either marina personal or the boaters on their vessels. The average owner does not even notice if he destroys his neighbours boat by stray current.

In a fishermans port, that is much unlikely to happen, but yachts are in danger.

It wasn´t, thank you!

Nothing wrong with wood / Ep. Boston. You know I like to build in that material and do so for quite long now.

But it was mentioned before, that metal is just the better material when we are exploring coral reefs, or hit a container.
    These boats will have a ice strengthening, which is far easier to execute in metal than in wood / Ep., to give you peace in mind when battering on a reef for some hours.
    A cold moulded hull is not as easy to repair as a metal one Boston. Although not as weak or tricky, as a FRP repair, it is a task. The only advantage is, that one must not rip out the entire interior like when welding.

Thank you (all) for your comments about the disgusting behaviour of some hijackers, we unfortunately had to stand for some days. Most of the dumb drivel was fortunately deleted. And thanks for all the mails and PM´s.

Don´t go deeper into that senseless FRP debate please (including cores of course), I said it already several times:

I do not build such boat in FRP! Never.

So, lets go ahead.

Regards
    Richard

2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

That's interesting.

Over here it seems to be the opposite. Many of the commercial fishing boats here have the absolute smallest amount of maintenance possible, and what is done is usually duct tape and wire nuts. Obviously not all fishing boats are run this way, but certainly enough of them to give the rest a bad name.

It wasn't that many years ago that a lot of boats went to sea with a pound of cocaine on the chart table and when you started getting tired you went up and did a few lines and went back to work.

3. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Oh we remember the good old days of commercial fishing. I agree that many smaller US fishboats have very marginal electrical systems due to lack of enforceable standards, but they seem to have few problems.
    ABYC does not apply here as few smaller fishboats are financed but if you want to finance a yacht, the bank will insist on it, so the yacht in general has maybe better electrics.
    Some NW salmon trollers deliberately charge their gear with an electronic gadget and say it attracts the fish.

4. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Steel is the preferred industrial material for a lot of reasons. Repair is not too hard IF you haven't foamed the interior, but if you have, it gets difficult. Foamed interiors are very common, protect the steel, insulate the living spaces and quiet everything down wonderfully.
    If you are going to beat ice or reefs into submission with your vessel, a well engineered steel structure is the best way I believe, followed closely by Aluminum, then epoxy/wood, then conventional wood.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

The small commercial fishing boats around here (and everywhere I have seen), are an eyesore, one step above derelicts and would break every rule in the book. Most of the people running them are barely making a living and don't have any money for maintenance. Yet they go out every day and fish. More power to them. The boats are wood coveed in fiberglass with an old Detroit Diesels or two, dry exhaust, keel coolers. I am sure most of them don't even have a GPS because they don't want anyone to steal it.

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Ahhhhh, Florida. Pacific NW is an entirely different place. Most fishermen here are pretty good about their maintenance as the environment is unforgiving. Those who try to get by with inadequate boats don't last long. The ferocious tides and currents, lots of rocks and steep-to shores, fog and rain really shake out the competent from anyone else.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

I am not sure we understand each other right. The first part of my statement was as important as the second.
    Many fishing vessels just dont connect to shore power, reducing the risk substantially that way. Most commercial ports for the fishing fleet do not even provide shore power. (seen worldwide)
    Fishermen don´t buy new gimmicks every season, and tinker around much.
    And most important, no marina staff , screwing with boats or marina wiring. After over 40 years, I yet have to see the skilled electrician in any marina round the globe.

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.