My design for your analysis and critique

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TheFisher, Dec 7, 2003.

1. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

2. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

ctually wanted to post the pic and messed up but hopefully it will be here. LOL

It is a gif of the DXF file.

Attached Files:

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

It might be worth your while to pick up The Nature of Boats, by Dave Gerr. his Off Sounding 34, is very similar, but bit larger. He has a whole chapter on it.

Gary :D

4. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

2 CENTS

Hey Fisher:
    I think those chine flats need to be dead paralell to the waterline rather than have deadrise. also I think I would widen her out a little aft and sharpen the entry(take a little of the roundness out of the stem) This will get more boat in the water sooner. If you choose to do so, bring the chine flats down a little closer to the waterline this will help her get on step a little sooner. I say this because looking at the waterlines in plan view she is a little wider in the forward sections. Seems like she would be pushing a little more water than she needs to. I like the good amount of flare you have! she will ride pretty dry I think! Anyway thats my doodler opinion! The sharper guys here will help lots so keep us posted! 8Knots

5. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

Gary,

Thanks, I'll pick the book up soon. I just finished his book on boat strength. :)

8knots,

The chine flats are designed with 6 degrees downward angle to help with a clean break of the water. The chine flats are actually under the waterline at rest. :eek:

I have her narrower in the stern for stability in a following sea. I may have her too narrow, but I'll wait to see what others have to say as well. :confused:

I'm hoping she is a dry and soft riding vessel. Those are some of my design criteria. I keep going back to the design stage and make the changes redo the calcs, etc. This is about the third round and haven't done the calcs yet on this phase. I'll wait to see what our more learned members say FIRST. This way I can do the calcs AFTER the recommended changes. :D

6. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

Good plan! I'm no professional so please do take my observations with lots O salt. The boats I have been working on have been works in progress for years. I have learned lots from the fellows here. Can't go wrong with a Gerr book in my opinion either, I have both of them!
    Good luck 8

7. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

Hi,

I think it looks great! I like the flare in the bow... I think you might be able to get away with a little more deadrise aft, but that really depends on what you're doing with it... Less is more power/fuel efficient... I like the idea with the chines... I think 4-6 deg downturn is what most people are doin.... The only thing I'd change is I might have straighten out the sheer a bit... not much... just a bit...

Nice to see people working on this style of boat... I find them really appealing...

Regards,

Dave

p.s. what calcs are you doin' on it? It'd be neat to know....

8. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

8knots,

Many people have valid observations. Someone more artistic may spot something I miss. This is not my area of expertise. I am a software professional. I, too, have learned much from the posts and discussion here. The biggest thing I learned is that I really knew nothing when it came to designing a boat! I take all the advice I can get! :)

Dave,

Thanks! It's a bit deceiving but the deadrise is 18 degrees at the transom. I've thought of dropping the hegiht in the front to lower the sheer line, but it is distinctive! I'll go back and forth on it a bit I guess :confused: :D

I'm just doing the normal weight, hydrostatic, and trim calc's. Have to make sure the weight comes in where I want it, locate the CF, etc. and she is trimmed properly when the console and all the mechanicals, etc are installed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.