fiberglassing PVC pipe??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by georgiahemi, Oct 4, 2007.

1. georgiahemi

georgiahemi Junior Member

I am making some rod holders for a jon boat I just built. I was planning on fiberglassing in some normal plumbers pipe to make this. Will the fiberglass or epoxy damage these plastic pipes?

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Won't damage the pipe but likely won't stick very well either. You'd have to roughen it up pretty good to get it to stick. The epoxy won't ever bond to the plastic so you're relying on the mechanical bond (weaker) to hold it in place.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If your boat is polyester, you could glass in the PVC with polyester and get a good bond. As said, roughen the surfaces of boat and pipe ---- no matter which resin you use. The pipe to use could be what's used for kitchen drains--- 1 1/4" with a flange at the top. This will protect the top edges, be the right size for pole handles, and it won't be as thick either. You may even find a darker color than white, like gray.

Alan

4. nero

nero Senior Member

Use pipe cleaner (sold in the plumbing supply department).
    I have been using some white PVC pipe to make fillets with. After each use I wipe it down with paper towels. Forgot to do this one time. Will testify that the bond is more than mechanical and that it had to be sanded off. Chipping would not make the resin pop off.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes - excellent bond to PVC pipe - even if it isnt roughened. Will be stuck to it for a loooong time. Even with movement and stress, it holds up very well i have found out.

6. bart streb

bart streb Bart

I actually used normal 2" white pvc for a drainpipe from the cockpit floor to the drain site above the waterline in a fiberglass boat. 3 years later, she is still afloat! I used West System Epoxy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.