Creating a foldable canoe from Corruplast

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Brantl, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Brantl

Brantl New Member

I hope to make a canoe from corruplast, that will let me fold the boat on rectilinear lines, for storage and carrying, and fold it from a single sheet ( so that it doesn't leak) and have it done in a couple minutes. I expect to have 2 thwarts and a low fitted seat to hold body shape and stiffen the boat. Will any of the low-cost/free software show all of this folded from a single sheet?

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

You mean Coroplast?

And no I don't think there is any software that can directly do that. Rhino 3D and maybe Studio Max can "flatten" an object/mesh, and then you would have to take the individual pieces and arrange them. And neither are "free". Maybe someone else will know of a tool that can do it without too many hoops.

There are plans and videos of this. look on Youtube for "coroplast canoe boat" and you'll see a bunch.

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

autodesk has Student Editions of EVERYTHING for FREE, including their "Inventor" CAD.

They say Inventor not a fully featured and powerful as Pro-E but it should be plenty good for your project and has full sheetmetal bending, as well as stress, motion, heat, etc.

4. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Autodesk Fusion 360 also has a sheet metal module, but I'm not sure if it accurately models how these plastic sheets would fold. It doesn't really have a flatten / developed surface module like Rhino. It's also a bit of effort to learn these CAD programs.

You'd need to seal some connections anyways though?

The harryproa tender is made similarly with "intelligent infusion".

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Dejay likes this.
  6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

One senses that a tremendous amount of thinking, and re-thinking, went in to such a thing as the porta-bote.

7. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

8. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Interesting solution to sealing the gap. I thought they were going to use ducktape!

9. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Dejay likes this.

10. Brantl

Brantl New Member

If your folds are radial, from the bow and stern, and you fold over a gunwhale, make a seat that form fits the boat, make thwarts at 3 ft and 9 ft in a 12 ft boat, and the folds are upward, there shouldn't be any leak points.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.