The New Scows

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===================
    Pictures from facebook linked from SA of the sailing version of the Revolution 22-a production(?) version of David Raisons boat:

click-

Attached Files:

2. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Wow, that's unfortunate looking. You could forgive the aesthetics of the mini because you understood the purpose. This I'm not so sure, I guess the market will decide.
    Translation is rough. Is it aluminum? If so, damn that some panel shaping.

3. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

And it's going to slam to a halt every time it hits a wave.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

It looks so Flash Gordon style. I like it. :)

6. Stephen Ditmore

Is the reference to 'gliding' a European usage or funny translation? I don't get it. Perhaps that's what we call 'surfing'?

I was never an Optimist sailor but sailed a Boston Whaler squall around Chatham, MA as a kid. I came to wish I could put a pointy extension on the stern and sail the boat the other direction. That bow would make a nice transom. Anyway, at times it sailed quite smartly.

Attached Files:

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

========================
    The quote above(post 51) is not something I said-I must have been quoting someone or something??
    I had a 9' Dyer Dhow and enjoyed it-I have no memory of the bow being a problem but I was only 9 or 10 max.

Attached Files:

8. Stephen Ditmore

Reference is to your post #3 at http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/mini-ocean-racing-scow-39114.html, where you quoted Scuttlebut Europe. I tried to get the attribution to read correctly but kept getting weird results and gave up.

The experience that made me wary of full bows in waves was aboard a Columbia 34 owned by my best friend's family. Steep sea that day on Nantucket Sound. I think were reaching but the waves were coming at us.

9. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Bluff bows are an enigma, Cook's Endeavor had one that performed very well during its time for what it was intended to do. Think the key is rounded shapes without hard corners.

The article mentions the scow smashing the other designs by 130 miles. Looks can grow on people, high performance make things acceptable and with time it begins to be appreciated. Right now it does look funny like something from the fifties where those types of rounded shapes where meant to instill feelings of aloofness and speed. In this case it really is fast but, being judged by others, while accepting the prize the skipper should keep his head down in shame for the way it looks.

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

11. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Experience in the Moth class demonstrated that the key to success in a scow bow is not rounded shapes. By the end of their development, scow Moths had discarded rounded bows in favour of sharp chines.

Raceboard, Formula and Slalom windsurfers have also demonstrated that sharp rails (aka chines) are fast in scow-type bows.

12. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Bluff bows are best for down wind work. Most of Capt. Cooks voyaging was probably such. And I suspect most most of a mini race is also down wind.

Sharper bows tend to dig in, when running before a fresh wind, giving the boat more of a tendency to broach. The full, buoyant bow helps prevent this.

Going up wind, however, may be a different matter. The full, buoyant bow rises quicker and slams harder.

The full bow is probably better for planing, due to not only it's buoyant nature, but also it's ability to move the planing surface further forward, where the support is needed.

Racing killed the full bowed boat, as in displacement mode, the sharper bowed boat was faster up wind and probably not that much slower down wind. This was proven during the very first America's Cup race.

Now that planing is expected on all points of sail, racing may bring back the full bowed boat.

The oyster sloop which later became Joshua Slocum's SPRAY was a good example of the old fashioned form of a full bow. Though not legendary for it's speed, it was well known for it's directional stability. In an era when self steering devices were unavailable, it steered itself days on end.

ancient kayaker likes this.
  13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Thanks Bob, that was the best justification for what appears at first to be a retrograde design step that I have read. Puts it into perspective!

14. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Yet Raison mentioned that the biggest problems he had with the boat was sailing downwind in strong winds and big seas. He thought his bow shape was not so good for that condition.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Scows

One thing to remember about scows-at least the original inland lake scows and probably all fast scows- is that they are designed to sail at an angle of heel to keep wetted surface low particularly upwind but also downwind in lighter conditions so the bow does not operate like a normal bow:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.