The New Scows

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Here is a rendering of a large scow by Reichel-Pugh.The rendering appeared on SA in a short interview with Jim Pugh. I've written Jim about this boat-maybe we'll get more info:

click on image:

Attached Files:

2. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Wow. That thing makes my M-20 look like a bath tub toy!

3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

There was an article about it in Seahorse a couple of months ago.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

90' fixed keel scow

Jim Pugh just replied that " it is in development as a 90 transpac design fixed keel". Wow! Anybody have a copy of the Seahorse article?

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The Seahorse article is under copyright. It should not be posted. If you want a copy you can order a back issue from Seahorse.

6. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

:rolleyes: I never even heard of seahorse magazine, and given the general state of the publishing industry nowadays, a little free publicity prob wont hurt them. Might even get them some new readers.

This looks like a huge e-scow, basically a huge surfboard. Unlike david raisons very successful mini 650 scow, which has a less extreme and more spherical bow shape which proved itself quite capable in relatively heavy conditions. Is this designed as an ocean racer? Shouldn't pitchpoling ("pearling"
    ) be a concern here? I mean e-scows are generally flat water boats I think....

To be clear, I am not "nay-saying", I am really excited about the re emergence (hopefully) of the scow hull type, I merely have questions about an extreme form of scow. :)

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I think my post gives that free pub. It alerted you to their existence, so hopefully you can become a new reader.

Seahorse is (and has been since the 1970s when I first read it) THE best print source for information about the cutting edge of yacht design and racing. Some very technical stuff is published there, and good photo essays of what's happening all around the world. From foiling dinghies to the latest in offshore racing designs (mono and multi), it is all covered in Seahorse.

They now offer subscriptions in a digital format.

8. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Holy DELIGHLA Batman!

DELIGHLA was what I named the 10 ft scow I built as a teenager.

This boat looks like a scaled up version of her.

Now I did once think of scaling DELIGHLA up to 20 ft.

She would be 20 ft long, 8 ft wide, and about 15 inches thick. She would weigh about 1600 lbs w/o ballast and have 340 sf of sail. She would still have her 90 deg chines and straight slab sides.

I can only imagine how fast she would go. The 10 ft version probably did at least 10 kts, maybe more, as she lift up about two inches and scooted across the water.

This boat should be quite fast off the wind and do a lot better than most would think up wind. There would probably be a lot of water on deck and she would probably stuff a wave now and then.

If she capsized, it would be very bad news. She'd be more stable upside down than right side up, almost as bad as a multihull.

She would have to be specially designed with special flooding compartments, if she were to be at all self rescuing, even with a ballast fin keel.

9. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

That thing makes my bathtub look like a Herreshoff Classic . . .

Doug: any views showing the bow? It looks like a Garvey on steroids from this angle.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Giant A scow

=========================
    No, AK. Thats about it. I may get a copy of the Seahorse article and they're may be something there.......

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

At 20 feet and 1600 lbs it would be very heavy comapred to existing scows like the C (20 feet) and E (28 feet).

Reichel knows something about scow design. He designed the modern Melges 17.

13. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

It probably wouldn't go as fast as a comparable Melges, but it would still go quite fast. And it would be a lot easier for an amateur to build, no rounded bilges, straight sides, and just a curved deck and bottom.

The 320 sf of sail it would carry would give it an S/D of 32, counting two 200 lb crew. And that's only if I scaled up the original construction. It could probably be built at least 1/3rd lighter without going to expensive light weight materials.

14. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I can only judge from the image attached to the first post, but from the transom profile it looks to have rounded bilges and probably a bottom that curves in two dimensions. I don't think it will be at all easy for an amateur. Full-form female mold and composite construction in all probability. That designer doesn't design for amateurs AFAIK.

That's just my opinion though. You could easily build a scow with a constant radius bilge and ends, but a regular garvey would be far easier to build and in the smaller sizes probably go just as well . . .

15. Petros

Petros Senior Member

looks fast on a smooth sea, would it pound rather badly in large swell? How does it handle heavy chop?

I do not know anything about large scows, the concept is worth consider since it would give you lots more interior room for the same length hull, and less severe compound curves.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.