The nanny state - Licences and registration

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by jamesgyore, Apr 21, 2012.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi mydauphin,
    No best... Each person has different ideals . . . be they to best match for the preferred cruising region, economic convenience, whatever... Even - least hassles whilst travelling overseas (especially if your passport matches boats country of registration) - Not good if you are cruising some regions on a USA passport... Same applies for Australia too, but I used USA as 'tis your home.?

2. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Federal registration has me fascinated.

Moreover, I think I can address the element of commerce. I figure, my boat is being constructed for the purpose of a documentary series.

Sailing this same vessel for the benefit of a second season of this documentary series might qualify as the pursuit of commerce, as profit is the purpose of this whole project.

I just have to cross some T's and dot some I's and get a solicitors opinion about the notion of commerce not having to be about the carriage of cargo or passengers, before I can stick it to the man!

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Switzerland - they have no water police of port officials ! :D

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi jamesgyore,
    One does NOT need to be "commercial" to register as an Australian Ship and reap the benefits of exemption from state fees/registration... You cannot register twice... (unless you plan to do some illegal stuff?) as your epirb, radios and identification are set in the original registration unless you refute and close that second identity for your boat... I do not think I speak plainly enough sometimes.....

RW - - - - I have a feeling that they do (have water police)... but you will need either a small boat or a big blimp to carry your boat there.... :D :D :p

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

After making that remark - I went and looked up the Swiss fleet info.

They actually have a few thousand ships registered, by companies who are registered in Switzerland, and the port located Swiss embassies around the world look after the paperwork.

We really want an organisation a lot less organised about collecting fees than the Swiss.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"81% of the country's energy use comes from cheap, clean energy from sources such as geothermal energy."

Clean ????

Volcanic ash grounded Europes aircraft for weeks. :D

And in retrospect, having assets sitting on a thin crust over a bubbling cauldron of Lava might be a bit unnerving.

How would it be, a big eruption, and you cant even fly out of the country ? You could take the boat - and hope there was no Tsunami I suppose.

Oh, and a big 'Hi' to all the real estate owners on the San Andreas Fault in California.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

DID I say Volcanoes? did it suggest that in any way the geothermal energy use resulted in any in the eruption... Did or has anyone suggested such concerns?

For your information Australia has geothermal energy in SW Qld and it is essentially free (except for maintenance and operating management costs), and Australians are too stupid to see the advantages...

Please think first . . . . One does NOT need active lavaflow, - - or even, to drill close to such risk elements to acquire geothermal power kindly refrain from over the top silly claims that are baseless and frivolous...

You probably have greater risk in Melbourne from death by "runaway bushfire" and if that did not get you the following sleet and freezing weather will.... Now you should justifiably come back with a denial and that you feel quite safe.... I too know that, so begs the question, why your ill considered point of irrelevance?

Are you trying to incite un-necessary panic in California, Iceland or other volcanic regions with such ill-found foolishness?

9. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Although, having nothing to do with licensing and registration fees, I've rather enjoyed this left-of-thread discourse.

It seems, after googling Iceland, I'm rather fascinated with the place... And yes, a place worth visiting.

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I hope you are having a little joke here .... why would anyone link extractive geothermal power generation to Volcanic eruption ??? However, where there are volcanoes (of which Iceland has many active ones)- there are eruptions - is that a given ???

However, Geothermal extraction can cause earthquakes
    " In 2007, a 3.4 magnitude earthquake was caused by geothermal extraction—a risk inherent in the technology used. Future projects in the U.S. will have to steer clear of population centers and larger fault lines, less a chain reaction is caused."

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/geothermal-energy-massive-potential-earthquake-risk

I MADE NO SUCH CLAIMS OR EVEN SUGGESTIONS !!!!

... or maybe this is part of the belaboured joke ????

Oh yes - you have got that right. Absolutely. I am making the point here that humans are so short sighted that they continue to build in hazardous areas - and Iceland, California and Japan are the highest on the list in the world. If you still have property in these places - the question is why ????

Iceland News - 2nd December 2011
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15995845
    "Hundreds of metres under one of Iceland's largest glaciers there are signs of a looming volcanic eruption that could be one of the most powerful the country has seen in almost a century."

Lets check out recent seismic predictions based on scientific studies:

The Man Who Predicted the Tsunami
    "After studying ancient rocks, a Japanese geologist warned that a disaster was imminent—to no avail"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704101604576248722573203608.html

Some comments on California's outlook October 2010
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/10/local/la-me-san-andreas-20101010
    "Recent reports suggest that the major rupture predicted for the southern San Andreas fault could be longer and stronger than the last big quake, shaking from Monterey County down to the Salton Sea."

More recent assessments of those two areas
    http://www.quakeprediction.com/

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

while this thread is taking a geothermal course, i have something to throw in. have any of you driven the great ocean road. between port fairy and portland there is a small building on the right side of the road. it is a small geothermal power generator feeding direct into the grid . have a look if you get down that way, you can't miss it, there is steam coming out of it. what a terrific thing if they could put more of them in.

12. whitepointer23

what about hot rock energy , that seems to have gone quiet.

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

They have had 'technical difficulties' in their test sites. The process of getting water down and steam back up is very fraught when dealing with underground rock structures.

As mentioned previously, the results can even lead to seismic disturbances.

New Zealand has been doing it successfully for many years, but their heat sources are closer to the surface and better defined.

14. whitepointer23

thanks watson. i wondered why it was big news and then went quiet.

15. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Well, yes, I suppose I could vocally argue about revenue collectors pretending to be the water police and discuss geothermic energy sources and our idiotic carbon tax. I'd even be happy to discuss the tree hugging and bunny loving disposition of our hippies.

Would any of you mind if we in fact discussed the licensing and registration issues of sailing craft in victoria au and the legitimate ways to avoid them?

As hot rocks and other cleaver means of generating electricity are very interesting... I'm more interested in screwing over the nanny state.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.